700 Derek has a new helicopter!!!

Derek

As many of you know, I was given a Trex 600 Pro DFC RTF about a year and a half ago. I'm very grateful to the guy that gave me that helicopter. It's been an awesome machine!!!

I have another friend that has decided to give me an HK Assault 700 kit. No electronics nor blades, which is fine with me because I can build it the way that I'd like to have it. So...my hanger just got bigger!!! I'll be looking for a good Scorpion motor and servos. I have a Castle Edge 160amp esc. An Ikon flybarless controller and Glacier 6S packs will surely be on order soon. Zeal main and tail blades, for sure. I'll have to find a canopy that I like because this frame did not come to me with one.

Now...I'm sure that some (Tony, lol) will probably cringe about the idea of an HK 700 helicopter but I have two Youtube buddies that have the Assault 700 and their helicopters have over 30 flights each. I've also seen several other Youtube videos of this helicopter and it seems to be flying very well....with some Align upgrades....easy enough.

It's gonna be a while before I will start the 700 build because I have some other plane and quad projects going on right now but I'll order the electronics for the helicopter when the money allows. Very excited about this build!!

Admiral

What does the general build quality look like? They appear OK in the videos but then again everything does on the HK Videos.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Big bird there Derek. Good lord son, when are you going to have time to fit your family in to your schedule? Lol Good luck on your build there Derek. Plenty of pics please!

Derek

What does the general build quality look like? They appear OK in the videos but then again everything does on the HK Videos.

In my honest opinion, the general build quality looks solid. I think it's gonna be a great flyer. Chances are, this frame will be my winter project because I have a lot of other things going on this Spring and Summer....but it will be a fun build!

Big bird there Derek. Good lord son, when are you going to have time to fit your family in to your schedule? Lol Good luck on your build there Derek. Plenty of pics please!

Yes, it is a big bird....no doubt. As for my family.....my wife and daughter ALWAYS come first. I go flying and spend time in the garage after I tend to my family. I'm grateful that my wife and daughter enjoy going to the flying field with me. My daughter likes the sounds that come from the heli's.

brent

Hey Derick, I've got an assault/align I had to change the main gear and pinion, the main shaft as the assault one uses a collar that has no chance of holding 700 thrust when inverted (slipped on first and second flight), the links between the dfc arm and the dfc ball link so there was no hole drilled through them for an allan key or something to stop it turning when you adjust the link as I thought it looked weak, the two bolts that hold the dfc arm onto the pitch control arm (used the align cnc ones) wasn't going to risk using the suppied ones, the landing gear because it snapped when I sneezed on it, I also had to buy the align links from the servo arms to the swash plate as the ones supplied in my kit were to long.
And the most expensive bit was having to get the align o.w.b as the assault one uses needle rollers in a plastic type cage but the needles just work there way behind the cage and let go. after worrying about the v2 swash plate ( you would of heard the v1 stories) I tried to rip the balls out by hand but decided it seems alright which it has turned out to be so far. other than that everything else is fine head,tail, frame,bearings, bearing blocks auto gear and tail gears hold up but only give you 4.2-1 which is a little slow but I haven't managed to strip them yet.

Top Bottom