Motors Dead Turnigy Typhoon 450H 2218H

regme40

Hi

Was just starting to put the Heli together and thought I'd try out the motor a Turnigy Typhoon 450H 2218H.

I'm using a TowerPro H40A Brushless Speed Controller with a TowerPro H-Type ESC Program Card.

When I hooked it up the motor ran for a bit before stoping. Now when I hook the motor to the ESC does make a sound, when I hook the ESC to the Program card no lights either.

Am I putting in a order for a new motor and ESC?

Cheers

murankar

Staff member
If I am not mistaken the sound comes from the motor. If I unplug my motor and plug in the battery there is no sound, but if the motor is plugged in there is a sound. You may have a bad esc or a bad program card.

Tony

Staff member
There are so many things going on here that it's hard to answer the questions. I have used the Typhoon motors on a 500 and 600 size heli with great success. But never used the 450 size. I would try another ESC and see if it works, try another motor or try another program card. If you plug the program card in and hook a bec to teh card for power adn you are not getting any lights, then it's either the wrong card, a bad card, or a bad ESC. There are just so many things that could be going on here that it's hard to pin point just one option.

regme40

Ok, I'already know the answer, but I'll ask anyway. Can you hook up the motor to the battery without the ESC or is the way of testing the motor by itself

Cheers

Tony

Staff member
I'm not actually sure if you can or not. I will look into that. The best way is to just hook it up to another known good ESC. Let me see if I can find that info.

Tony

Staff member
Verified, you CAN'T connect a brushless motor directly to a battery. Brushed motors use DC power, but brushless uses AC power in 3 phase. So you must use an ESC. I thought so, but didn't want to say so until I verified this.

Lee

I would suspect the ESC from what you've said. Very little can go wrong with the motor. Test with another ESC. If you don't have one and theres a LHS near by, they normally have a motor/ESC test rig you could put them on.
Good luck

regme40

Thanks for that, well the program card lights up again so I think the ESC ok. Found out that you can test the motor on a multi-meter by attaching the motor to a drill and testing each cable in turn 1 & 2, 2 & 3, 3 & 1 and they should give the same reading if the drill is spinning at the same rpm. So I'll give that ago and see how it goes.

Cheers

regme40

Well it looks like the ESC has packed it in tried another ESC and the motor worked. Now the only question is will a 30A ESC be ok for a 2218H motor or should I get another 40A ESC.

Cheers

jac_2012

I advise you to install a 45-amp esc better
I currently I have in my heli a 60-amp esc is cold electronica
regards

murankar

Staff member
If you want to be safe make the esc 5 to 10 amps more than the motor. HK is claiming that it needs a 40 amp esc. Another way is to get an esc that has a higher amperage than what your battery is able to put out. that way you know you are covered. As long as your esc is at least 5 amps more than the motor you should be fine.

Tony

Staff member
regme, if you can link me to the motor, I can get you the numbers you are looking for. There are some out there that can use a 30, but I have always ran a 40 on my helis just to be safe. And this was on the 450's. I ran 60's on my 500 and 600.

Top Bottom