Kits Day five of the Telemaster build

Day five was a very productive day. We'll start this with the mounting of the engine. If you note in picture 4 you can see that the motor is canted a degree or two to the starboard and in picture 1 it is slanted a degree or two down. This is to compensate for the torque of the engine and prop. The sides of the engine compartment were channeled out so the muffler extension could be passed through. Three holes were drilled on the other side so I could access the muffler mounting bolts and the fuel adjustment needle "thing-a-ma-bob". Obviously the end of the adjustment needle did not extend through the wall so a wire was epoxied to the end of the needle to extend it, (see pictures 2 & 4). Thin sheets of aluminum were fashioned and attached to the sides of the firewalls with small screws to simulate rivets. These can be seen in pictures 1 & 2. The throttle wire was run from the servo through two, hand fashioned, plywood guides to the throttle linkage and the fuel tank was mounted on foam, (see picture 3). Next is the horizontal stabilizer. The fuselage was made level then the forward center of the cockpit was located and a "T" pin was driven in that location. The horizontal stabilizer was centered on its mounting location. Using a marked string attached to the "T" pin the string was drawn to the exact location on both ends of the stabilizer which was adjusted until it was square. Two small holes were drilled in the channel and wooden dowels were pushed through the holes to help hold it in place. After the coating was removed from the indicated locations 30 minute epoxy was applied. The stabilizer was remounted and adjusted so it was square and level, (see pictures 5 & 6). I included a picture of the fuselage of one of Bruce's WWI Biplanes that he scratch built.

On a sad note: This kit comes with the control horn mounting holes pre-drilled. Unfortunately if you use these locations, your push rods will be at at an angle, some rather steep, to the servos and can cause binding.
001.jpg002.jpg004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg008.jpg009.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Oops. I forgot to mention that in picture 7, it shows a side view of the horizontal stabilizer. Note the airfoil. It is know as a lifting tail.

001.jpg

002.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Dude, I love the aluminum on the sides of the nose. Looks great :thumbsup:

and with that tail, plus the flaps, plus the fact that this is a telemaster, this thing is going to be a vtol lmao. It's coming along nicely!

Top Bottom