Servos Damaged servo?

cml001

I have MKS 92A+ cyclics on my 450PRO DFC.. Had a good crash the other day and ended up with this... Ele servo seems good, one of'em the cyclic has a "noch" in it, & the other is limp... It moves freely, as tho there was no gear at all.. However, if I power up... It works(bench test only).. If I press on it while powered it holds fine... In all positions... Stick movement is fine... What's the deal? Should I replace the gears in this servo when I do the the one with the "noch"?

pvolcko

I wouldn't worry about the "free" one. Just sounds like it has less resistance in the gear train than the others. I have servos that are relatively free and will fall when unpowered. I have others that can't really be moved at all when unpowered. All work fine.

The notchy one needs new gears, as you surmised.

Bench test it all when you have it back together to make sure the "Free" one isn't slow compared to the others or having a hard time centering or holding position compared to the others. Also do a static resistance test (power up, push and pull on the swash to make the servos fight to keep position). This will make sure you didn't miss a bad set of gears and will also do a current draw stress test.

Lee

I would take the tops off and give them a look.
It will give you piece of mind, that the gears are good or not.

cml001

Got handled! It's funny cause with missing/sheer'd teeth I would have thought another "notchy" feel or have it lock... But it was limp.. No resistance at all... Well.. Ended up loosing a couple teeth... Repaired and about to re-cong the beastx to fly this afternoon.
image.jpg

image.jpg

cml001

Yep.... But like I NEVER felt gears.. Damaged or perfect... I'm talk like.. If u turned the heli upside down it would fall... While no power was applied, but if u powered it.. It seemed perfect.. Freaky!

pvolcko

miracles of modern PID controllers. :) That servo was probably doing 50% more work than normal to keep that output where it was supposed to be, having to run an extra half rotation to get that gear to bite. Surprised you didn't see any unexplained jiggling or hunting out of it.

cml001

Well this was due to a crash I'm pretty sure... Did not fly it after noticing the limp issue.. After the crash. She's too the good now tho!
image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Little man goin for the canopy! Lol.. Caught him!

- - - Updated - - -

Little man goin for the canopy... Caught him!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom