450 Crashed Blade 450x, repaired and seeing a little problem. Please help!

Happy Student

Hello,

I hope that I am posting this in the right place. I am new to RC heli's and this site and hope I am not posting incorrectly. I crashed my blade about 5 months ago. I repaired it but noticed just a few interesting things as I would fly it. It hasn't been a big issue so I didn't really look into it. Wanting to get better with my heli, I figured I would look into the problem. I have gone through Tony's step by step video on the 7200BX. I have figured most of it out, however I am having this issue and I am sure it is because I am missing something in my setup. I have centered the servos in menu G. When I go to menu L where I thought I would be fixing this issue (Swashplate cyclic limits) I go to adjust the servos so that they don't bind or hit and I can't get it where tony says (Adjust so that there is no binding sounds and the 7200BX still shines blue (maybe red)) I can't get the limits where they need be, still be blue and not bind or hit. I could use some help. Perhaps I haven't set up the head right? I did move one of the servo arms, I thought I got it back where it needs to be but I am too new to this to know if I have it right. Please help me, I want to figure this out and get flying again. Thank you!!! Please share any videos for the blade I may have not found. If there isn't any videos then try to explain to me what I need to do in writing or video if possible. I have posted a link to my video I posted on youtube. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I would get smaller servo arms so they wont hit. Make sure all servos are at 90 degree and your links are the same sive. Just a thought.

Happy Student

I appreciate the suggestion and thought. These are actually the same servo arms as when I bought the heli and they were not doing this before my crash. Something else has messed up, and since I have never built a heli I am not 100% how to go from the ground up on fixing it when it comes to the 7200BX. Unfortunately I cannot find a video that shows me step 1 - *blank* of how to set up servos and get everything perfect. Tony gets close in his videos, but there are a few things of knowledge I lack that his videos don't cover. Anyway, I will look into seeing if there is a measurement the arms should be and try adjusting them back to that, if they moved during my crash.

- - - Updated - - -

*correction*, I will see if I can find servo arms that are shorter.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
The letter "G" on the AR is the centering of servos. Get them close to center. Move the rudder stick to adjust each servo one at a time. With the elevator stick, move up and down to get the servo center. Do this to each servo before moving on to letter "H". I have both 7200/7300BX and they work great. The hardest thing is trying to get the blue light and the 6 degrees to match on letter "J". Just make sure your heli is on a level surface. Hope this helps.

reb1080

Check the servos and make sure the gears aren't missing a tooth. I usually strip a servo when I crash. This will make them buzz. One more thing on menu item 'J'. I've found that when I first enter J, if the pitch guage isn't at zero (before touching the radio), I need to lengthen or shorten the linkages until it is. This will give you full positive and negative pitch range. It doesn't have to be exact using a digital pitch gauge, but it needs to be within 1 degree. When you achieve this, then the blue light after setting 6 degrees lights up. (usually........lol) One way to check which way to go with the linkages is to move the 6 degrees to whatever it takes to get the blue light. If it ends up being higher than 6, you need to shorten them, if it is lower you need to lengthen them. Everyone does this a little different, but this method works for me. Hope this helps.....

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to mention that I unplug the servos and check them for smooth rotation with my fingers. If they catch anywhere in the range of movement, this indicates a stripped gear in them......... DON'T try to move them while they are powered up or you could strip them easily.......The blade servos I've had experience with are fairly fragile........

Happy Student

Thank you, I appreciate every ones responses. I have gone through and leveled the servos and adjusted the push rods so the blades are at 6 degrees pitch, both positive and negative. I think where I lack knowledge is whether or no the servo and the arm are at the correct position. I took one of the arms off and am not sure whether the gear and the arm are "in the middle of the servo motion". I hope that makes sense. Can anyone explain to me how to attach the servo arm to the servo so that is in the correct position? Tony's video on setup the beast x I think gives me enough knowledge to center the servos, then level the swash plate and adjust the push rods to level the blades at 0. Is there a video anyone knows of on how to properly set up a head to make sure I am doing it correctly? Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Check the servos and make sure the gears aren't missing a tooth. I usually strip a servo when I crash. This will make them buzz. One more thing on menu item 'J'. I've found that when I first enter J, if the pitch guage isn't at zero (before touching the radio), I need to lengthen or shorten the linkages until it is. This will give you full positive and negative pitch range. It doesn't have to be exact using a digital pitch gauge, but it needs to be within 1 degree. When you achieve this, then the blue light after setting 6 degrees lights up. (usually........lol) One way to check which way to go with the linkages is to move the 6 degrees to whatever it takes to get the blue light. If it ends up being higher than 6, you need to shorten them, if it is lower you need to lengthen them. Everyone does this a little different, but this method works for me. Hope this helps.....

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to mention that I unplug the servos and check them for smooth rotation with my fingers. If they catch anywhere in the range of movement, this indicates a stripped gear in them......... DON'T try to move them while they are powered up or you could strip them easily.......The blade servos I've had experience with are fairly fragile........

I went through and checked the servos with the power off and I didn't feel any catches. They move pretty smooth. Thank you for the suggestion.

middy10

i just got a new 450x last week .havent crashed it other than it tipping in the grass tonight and hitting the ground a little and partially stripping a few teeth off the main gear but i tried the same movements and my servo arms also hit. not as hard as yours do but the links barely slide past each other

murankar

Staff member
So what i suggest is finding the max amount of collective the frame can handle. If your exceeding it then that could explain why its hitting your stand off. If your just starting out then 10 to 12 degrees should be all you need. Then let us know what you find out. The manual is crap from what I saw so I dont know if that info will be in there.

trainrider06

Thank you, I appreciate every ones responses. I have gone through and leveled the servos and adjusted the push rods so the blades are at 6 degrees pitch, both positive and negative. I think where I lack knowledge is whether or no the servo and the arm are at the correct position. I took one of the arms off and am not sure whether the gear and the arm are "in the middle of the servo motion". I hope that makes sense. Can anyone explain to me how to attach the servo arm to the servo so that is in the correct position? Tony's video on setup the beast x I think gives me enough knowledge to center the servos, then level the swash plate and adjust the push rods to level the blades at 0. Is there a video anyone knows of on how to properly set up a head to make sure I am doing it correctly? Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

I went through and checked the servos with the power off and I didn't feel any catches. They move pretty smooth. Thank you for the suggestion.

If you have a servo tester, you can just unplug the servo and hook it to the tester to get your center on the servo, if not power up your heli with the servo arm disconnected, then attach the servo arm after that, you'll have to go back through your steps though and reset everything if the arm was off. Sounds like when you removed the servo arm you didn't put it back where it was or the servo moved without the arm on it and you might have placed it in a different position....

Hi there, i am totally new with CP heli. I purchased 450x about a month ago and never crash it except tipping over grass and had the exaclly same problem with the servo. I had tried to center the servo and lever swash plate but seem it does work. If any body can please give me any suggetions, that would be great.

Smoggie

Hi Martin, welcome to the forum.

Just so we can fully understand the problem.. I'm reading that your heli tipped over and now the servo doesnt move correctly and won't return to centre?.. Is that right?

If that's the case then you have stripped the gears inside the servo when it tipped. Blade helis are quite well known for having fragile servos I'm afraid. You can get replacement gear sets for the servos. It's quite a fiddly job to replace them but probably something you are going to have to learn to do as they break pretty easy.

Hi Martin, welcome to the forum.

Just so we can fully understand the problem.. I'm reading that your heli tipped over and now the servo doesnt move correctly and won't return to centre?.. Is that right?

If that's the case then you have stripped the gears inside the servo when it tipped. Blade helis are quite well known for having fragile servos I'm afraid. You can get replacement gear sets for the servos. It's quite a fiddly job to replace them but probably something you are going to have to learn to do as they break pretty easy.

Thanks alot for your suggestion Smoggie. I opened and check the servos this morning and they still moving smooth with no stripped gear at all. Is this because the setup on Beatx is not been done property? The 450x i bought is RTF anyway.
Thanks and best regard.

Smoggie

ok, so if the servos are moving normally then they just need setting up as per the normal AR7200BX setup procedure.

I just tried to set up step by step on AR7200BX and i couldn't get the blue LED without servos binding each other on step L ( cyclic limit). I tried to avoid it by reduce the cyclic limit but the status LED on Beatx will turn off. Is there any other ideas how to fix it plz?

Smoggie

If the arms are those supplied with the ready to fly heli then they must be the correct length, if it was working ok when you got it with those same arms then the problem must be elsewhere.

Sorry I cant help with AR7200BX setup because I've never used one, but others here have.

Top Bottom