Motors correct motor

defender

haven't been in the hobby since the seventies and know nothing of electric have built some nice foam planes lately and am at a loss when it comes to what to use for electric power and esc battery ect. there are so many different motors out there and its all confusing on what to use,nitro was never a problem is it all about weight and if so everything is grams so that just helps to confuse,anyone know of a nitro verses electric conversion table out there

Lee

What size is your plane? post up a photo if you like.
Most foamies, unless you've gone seriously big or micro, will take something like a 60g 1000 to 1600KV motor. The battery will be 3S 1300 to 2200mah again depending on the size of the plane
Once you have the weight of the plane you can get an idea of motor size by the thrust specs that most motors will show.
Here is a calculator I use sometime as well.
Drive Calculator
There is a video on here somewhere explaining it in more detail, but i can't find it at the moment. Someone else will chime in and point you in the right direction.

defender

thanks for the imfo Lee need all the help I can get getting back into it,its like sarting all over again,one of the first planes should be around one to one and a half pounds thanks again

Lee

Take this motor for example.
Suppo 2212/10 1400kv Brushless Motor (Park 400 equiv.)
You see it has the specs at the bottom.
1.5pounds is 600g. This motor is recommended for a model between 300 and 800g.
The size of ESC is recommended 20A, and the battery is 3S. A 1300mah battery is around 150.
If you add the weight of the plane 600g, Motor 50g, ESC 50g, Bat 150g =850g
So maybe you would need a slightly more powerful motor.
These are all guestimates :)

defender

thanks Lee maybe I can get the hang of it all with some study weight seems a big factor with this electric stuff

Top Bottom