Motors considering Trex 500 motor upgrade

Derek

So, I've had my 500 for a bit over a year. Haven't flown it much but I'm thinking about upgrading the motor. Currently, it hastthe stock 1600kv motor. I'm looking for something smoother.

What kind of thoughts do you all have?

Tony

Staff member
What do you mean something smoother? You should have either the Align 500M or the 500MX in that one. I'm thinking you have the "M". That is one of the best motors that you can put in that thing!

Derek

Come to think of it, Tony, I think I simply "worded" my request wrong. I was just wondering what options are available for a "good" and "reliable" motor.

Yes, I have the "M". I didn't know that "it is one of the best motors" for my 500. That's good enough for me.

Tony

Staff member
If I was to upgrade, I would go with either the Align 500MX motor (I like the smooth "M" can better, but the MX with the ribbed can has better cooling) or the Scorpion HK-3226. But, I HIGHLY doubt you will see any performance increase. I would stick with the motor you have until you start doing some smack 3D. Then, you may want to upgrade to a higher wattage motor. The Scorpion that I posted is a 1770w motor and a max draw of 80a.

Tony

Staff member
The thing had better fly it's self with a $200 motor lmao. I looked at them for the 450 and quickly went back to Align and Scorpion just due to price.

Derek

I have to agree, Tony!

Thank you, Westy, for the suggestions, but there is no way that I am in a position to purchase a $200 motor, lol

Westy

LEGEND
ah well ... there are the rolls royces of the world and the putt putt cars .... it is all up to how much you want to get out of it :)

those motors are the Lamborghini of the heli motor world .... you would not run el cheapo batteries on them or they will just get chewed up and spat out LMAO

Derek

lol, I hear ya...and I appreciate your suggestions, Westy!

I've done a bit more research today and I've simply decided to stick with my Align 500 motor and if/when it gives up, I'll probably just order the same.

Thanks again, buddy!!!

Westy

LEGEND
+1 with Tony.... since you are on a budget..... keep an ear out for the bearings starting to go .... if you get them early, you will only be up for a set of bearings! under $10 bucks. I did a vid ages ago on how ot do the job :)

Tony has probably done vids on it too ;)

Tony

Staff member
Actually no, I have never had to replace a motor bearing. Don't really fly enough lol.

Westy

LEGEND
Hahahahahahaahahhahaha. ...... yeah I hear ya! I used to be like that ....... but touch wood ..... I have had a nice lucky streak of sky and touching skids the right way up! haha

Top Bottom