ESC Connector Standards For Escs

bigone5500

I have a couple type connectors on my batteries. They are EC3 and Deans. I read somewhere that deans are exiting the building. I want to make sure I get connectors that will be supported for a long time.

My question is: What connector should I stick with? Is it, in actuality, dependent on the battery bought? I would think so.

I ask this because I really don't want a box full of adapters just to get an aircraft flying or to charge a battery. I can understand that some batteries will have a certain connector due to the size and current of the cell(s). I am really asking this in regards to the larger batteries I have.

Tony

Staff member
I have used Deans for years and will continue in the future. But not counting Deans, XT60 is the next most widely used since most batteries these days come with them already soldered on. EC3 is probably next in line, but they have always felt cheap to me. I will stick with Deans though. Even though my life would be easier if I switched to XT60's.....

Geena

Staff member
I don`t care for deans myself. They are a pain to solder, a pain to unplug, and I have had the little spring tab break off of several of them. For small helicopters running up to 380mm blades, I use EC3. I also use EC3 on my nitros for the receiver packs. For my 700 electrics, I use XT-150 connectors.

murankar

Staff member
I am with Geena on the Deans. EC3 work and are a great connector for a solid 3s to 4s . I also like the RC Pro Plus brand. I like them more than EC3. I have them on my goblin. The Pro X5 wouuld be the ones for a 3S setup.

murankar

Staff member
Deans were great when I first started but I did how ever mess a few up by heating up to much. Lesson learned.

Tony

Staff member
I guess I have been doing them so long that it is like second nature to solder them up. I have had the little springs break, but I have also had the cage on the bullets break as well.

murankar

Staff member
Thats why I am liking the RC Pro Plus connectors. Its a split barrel connector that holds its retention alon with a slight little snap.

Tony

Staff member
XT60 is going to be a cross between EC* and Deans. You can't remove the bullets, but they are in fact bullets. You can still melt the housing, but it takes more heat than Deans. They have more meat to grab onto to unplug, and are not as tight as Deans. And you have the added convenience of, most batteries from china come with XT60's already soldered on. And in most cases, the solder joints are pretty good. Like I said, if I change, it will be for the XT brand.

I will give the others this, they are all pretty much easier to plug in than Deans. Deans you have to have exactly lined up. The other "bullet style" are pretty well self aligning.

Admiral

I started out trying to have different connectors for different cell batteries,i.e. JSA for 2S, Deans for 3S, 3.5mm Bullet for 4S, 4mm Bullet for 6S. But I have lost the path I now have 3S & Small 6S on XT60 it doesn't cause any issues I very careful when charging to know what I'm plugging in but if I do make a mistake the charger immediately warns me of a cell mismatch.

Last edited:

RandyDSok

When I first started with electrics... I chose the EC3 over the Deans initially because of several reasons. Later, I switched to the Deans because of the popularity allowing everyone at the field I flew at to share batteries. I may have considered the XT60's had they come along and became more popular earlier than they did.

Tip when soldering the Deans ... keep them plugged into a mate and if you do happen to get them a little too hot, they won't loose their alignment. It also provides a little bit of a heat sync which helps keep from overheating them quite as quickly.

Still having some adapters to convert from one type to another, isn't a bad idea and really isn't that hard to make up.

RandyDSok

I started out trying to have different connectors for different cell batteries,i.e. JSA for 2C, Deans for 3C, 3.5mm Bullet for 4C, 4mm Bullet for 6C. But I have lost the path I now have 3C & Small 6C on XT60 it doesn't cause any issues I very careful when charging to know what I'm plugging in but if I do make a mistake the charger immediately warns me of a cell mismatch.

Typo police... :D

S is the number of cells in a pack.... C is the amperage rating vs the mah rating of the battery pack.... just saying :)

Smoggie

XT60 is hard to beat for up to medium size. They are compact but much easier to solder than Deans and also much easier to pull apart. The fact that a large proportion of batteries come fitted with XT60 as standard makes it a 'no-brainer' IMHO.

Last edited:

Admiral

Typo police... :D

S is the number of cells in a pack.... C is the amperage rating vs the mah rating of the battery pack.... just saying :)

I had gotten off a ship after a 7 day cruise about an hour before, I was obviously still all at sea or is that C (LOL)
Thanks Typo Police.

Top Bottom