Batteries Connector assembly tool?

Boogs

After struggling to seat the contact sleeve into the plastic housing of an EC3 connector, I wonder if there's a tool that would make this less painful. Anyone know of such a device? Besides the hammer and drift?

Tony

Staff member
They usually shouldn't be that hard to seat down in there. At the very most, a flat bladed screw driver and push down on the bullets until they seat. If there is a tool, I don't know about it...

Admiral

Another trick is to place the plastic sleeve in near boiling water for 30 seconds which softens in making it more malleable and easier to push the connector home.

Boogs

My drift was a straight blade, for a hammer a pair of linesman pliers, must be getting weak in old age.

Nice tip Admiral, I'll try that next time.

Geena

Staff member
The tool that Progressive makes, is for EC5 connectors. I have one, and it works GREAT! But, it is way too large to use on EC3 connectors.

Geena

Staff member
It would be really nice if they would make one for EC3. It would make life so much easier when working with them. I have also gotten some copies of the EC5 connectors, that have to be pulled through the housing from the front, rather than being pushed in from the back of the housing. I haven`t seen them in the EC3s, but it`s something to look out for.

Boogs

It looks like a hole punch with a side ground off, pretty easy to duplicate. I know that's over-simplifying it but you see where I'm going. I have a hack saw and a set of files.......

Jimbo

Fabricating one from a piece of tubing might better. That would give you a flat surface, where hole punches are thin and sharp around the edge.

Jim

Dennis H

They usually shouldn't be that hard to seat down in there. At the very most, a flat bladed screw driver and push down on the bullets until they seat. If there is a tool, I don't know about it...

I have the EC5 tool progressive makes. It's great. On the EC3's, I use a small flat blade with a small brass hammer. I have a 2x4 I rest the connector on, just give it a even blow, and it seats just fine.

The Hot water trick, or just heat up the connector with a butane torch and it will also slip in.

Once you get the hang of it, you won't even think about it.

Boogs

Took a block of wood and drilled two holes the same depth, chiseled out so the connector body slips in. Holding the wooden block with my foot and a quick tap, done. Much easier this way. They do get easier with practice.

Top Bottom