Computer help needed

bigone5500

I recently had to remove my nvidia 675m graphics card from my laptop. I started getting driver crashes like crazy. The computer was completely useless. After removal, the on-board intel HD4000 was enabled. Before realizing the card was bad, I had tried to reset the system BIOS by removing the battery and crossing the contacts. This didn't work. When I did find that the card was bad, I couldn't boot to my SSD drive and had to re-setup the BIOS settings. Afterwards, the computer booted fine. I installed the drivers needed to get the HD4000 to work. Just a couple days ago, I accessed my external HDD which contains all my personal data. I have the documents folder, pictures, music, video, etc. stored there. I can do what I wish with my data EXCEPT my music folder. I cannot access anything until I take ownership of the files one by one. This will take months...well maybe.

Here's the thing, I do know how to do the security settings. I'm not completely ignorant of how windows works. I should be able to select the music folder and take ownership of it and the files and subfolders. This should be able to be accomplished in one fell swoop. I have 1,288 sub folders in my music folder. I right click on the music folder and select properties. I then select the security tab. I click on advanced. In the advanced window, it shows me to be the owner.

If I try to enter any sub folder, it says 'you currently don't have permission to view this folder. Click continue to permanently get access to this folder.' Then it says 'you have been denied permission to access this folder. to gain access to this folder you will need to use the security tab.' I then go to the security tab. It tells me that 'you must have read permissions to view the properties of this object. click advaced to continue.' I click advanced. It says 'you must have read permissions...blah blah... I click continue with the 'admin shield'. Now it says 'you do not have permission to view this object's security properties, even as an administrative user. To try taking ownership of the object, which includes permission to view its propervies, click Change above.' I click change. I then type my name in the text box and it changes the owner to me. I click ok, ok, ok...

Now I can access the folder. However, I cannot access the files contained within. I have to go one by one on the files and change ownership to me. Then I have to ok, ok, ok then add my name to the permissions list. Then I have to give myself full control of the file. Then I can play the audio.

There are over 16,000 songs here. OOOOO MMMMM GGGGG!!!!!

Please let there be a computer GURU on rc-help...please...

RandyDSok

I usually set the owner to myself also... but I also give the "Everyone" group full read/write access so if I ever access the drive from another computer... I can still get to the files.

Ok... repeat some of what you already did... Select the Folder Properties, then Security tab, click on the Advanced button and you should see something like ( this is from Windows 10 but your should be similar )....

Permissions.JPG

Change the Owner the same way you did previously ( too yourself ), give the Everyone group full controll and remember to check the option at the bottom to Replace all child properties.... then click Apply and when done Ok

bigone5500

I usually set the owner to myself also... but I also give the "Everyone" group full read/write access so if I ever access the drive from another computer... I can still get to the files.

Ok... repeat some of what you already did... Select the Folder Properties, then Security tab, click on the Advanced button and you should see something like ( this is from Windows 10 but your should be similar )....

View attachment 17828

Change the Owner the same way you did previously ( too yourself ), give the Everyone group full controll and remember to check the option at the bottom to Replace all child properties.... then click Apply and when done Ok

That didn't work. However!

I happened to make the right search on Google and found this:
Take Ownership of a File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key in Windows 8

I was able to successfully take ownership of the music folder and then the folders within. Afterwards I am now able to enable enheritance and the child objects option also worked. Now I can listen to all my music!

I hope this can help someone else.

Thanks for your help.

Tony

Staff member
I would have given you the same info as Randy because that is what I do on my computer. Glad you got it worked out though.

RandyDSok

I would have given you the same info as Randy because that is what I do on my computer. Glad you got it worked out though.

I missed saying that when taking ownership... you also have to select doing it to the subfolders and other child objects... although I'd have thought that would have been obvious once you'd have seen the screen with that option on it since it's like the one I had shown above.

I prefer the commandline method myself to take ownership since it's faster than clicking through a bunch of screens... but most people shy away from having to type anything and seem to prefer the GUI methods, so I seldom mention it on forums.

bigone5500

I missed saying that when taking ownership... you also have to select doing it to the subfolders and other child objects... although I'd have thought that would have been obvious once you'd have seen the screen with that option on it since it's like the one I had shown above.

I prefer the commandline method myself to take ownership since it's faster than clicking through a bunch of screens... but most people shy away from having to type anything and seem to prefer the GUI methods, so I seldom mention it on forums.

I come from the generation that used MS-DOS. I used to make simple programs in ms basic, gw basic, basicA...etc. so I like the command line stuff.

Top Bottom