Close call

murankar

Staff member
Boy last evening was rather nerve racking. I actually said "OK, I quite"; for the evening that is. The wind was not really conducive to flying but I want to anyways. I got the tail shaft fixed, new main shaft and got the gyro reset for the new tail shaft. I still have a slight shake in the tail at 55%. So I continue with working on the mechanical zero for the tail. I got it close I think, but with all the wind I don't think it is a true setting.

Anyhow I finally decide to fly, put the nose into the wind, spool up to about 45% throttle and hit the fun switch. She started to react to the wind just as she started getting light on the skids, so I jumped it up to about eye level. Got it back under control and just doing basic side to side moves and kicking the tail to the left and right. Had a few close calls on the first battery but nothing to write home about.

It was during the second battery when I started growing some stones and decided to do some pitch pumps towards the end. I had about 2 minutes left on the timer when I did my last pump and almost decked it nose in and leaning to the right, it's right. Before I knew it I was pulling back and to the left on the cyclic, while at the same time pushing on the collective to get it up in the air. Once I got clear of that I had to get back to tail in but that didn't go as planned. With he wind gusting and my lack of skills, which I think is a figment of my imagination due to my recovery, I managed to get it right side in and it was rolling and pitching violently. Took a breath and finally got it to tail in and under control; thank you wind for dieing down, and landed it while still in ID mode. I hit the TH switch and set everything beck to normal and packed it up for the night. By the time I got to the bird my timer starting beeping meaning I had a minute left. I spent almost a minute with a bird that was out of control. I was shaking at the end. Anyhow its work time.

Tony

Staff member
Glad you saved it. better than what happened to mine today lol. Well, when it was running that is. It's now torn apart and going in the trash. I'm done with clones for good and will never buy another one. Not worth the time and money you have to put into them. But I'm glad yours is flying great.

murankar

Staff member
I have had to put my share of cash into it also. In the end yes It might be better to start with a $200 air frame.

If you are just learning the clone is great because parts are cheap. Once a pilot starts gaining skill then yes do an upgrade. At least thats what I am doing. I am gathering all my electronics now and by august 1 I will be ordering my jr 2703d gyro. Airframe is in question again due to my selection of electronics. Anyhow I have plans and hope I can complete this project.

Top Bottom