CHOCOLATE MERLOT ... Yes, I said CHOCOLATE MERLOT as in a wine

RandyDSok

I went to a friends this afternoon whom had been having telephone issues to see if I could help her and afterword, when finished, we were going to dinner. Just as I finished up... a friend of her's dropped by for a quick visit.

My friend, while we were chatting asked a quick question... had either of us tried a chocolate wine?... Both of us suddenly had a questioning look on our faces and not quite believing what was asked... said no that we hadn't... I'm sure we both had a bit of a disgusting look on our faces just from thinking about it.

My friend then insisted that we at least try some out... so we both said "ok, but just a little bit". My friend got out 3 small glasses from her cupboard, grabbed a bottle out of the fridge, unsealed and then uncorked it... She then poured a bit in each glass... She then told us it was from a local winery in Slaughterville, Ok

As I tasted it... the sweet merlot really stood out nicely as did the chocolate, both in perfect balance. I simply couldn't believe how well the two flavor notes paired with each other. In fact, I was blown away at the taste. If we had a cheese cake with cherry pie filling on top... I would have been tempted to pass on dinner and just enjoyed those two...

The name of the winery is Canadian River Winery and is located just 15 minutes south of Norman on Highway 77. If you live in the area... and would like a nice dessert to finish off a dinner with... Pick up a cherry cheese cake and a bottle of the Chocolate Merlot and you'll be glad you did. Have it after a romantic meal with your girlfriend or wife... and you'll have a perfect romantic evening.

Tony

Staff member
That place is not far from me. And like you, the thought of wine and chocolate is just not that appealing lol. I may have to run down the road and pick up a bottle to see what it's all about. Worth a try. But, and this is a big but, the wife and I do NOT like wine. The only thing we do with it is cook. But, the chocolate flavor may make it a bit better. I guess we will see.

RandyDSok

Since I started getting migraines about 2 years ago... I haven't been drinking at all since, at times even after a first taste, alcohol seemed to trigger a migraine.. So, it was a lot that I even tried it... and I'm glad I did. Once I had tried it... the two flavors just made sense.

As suggested by mentioning to have this with a cherry cheese cake... this is definitely a dessert wine. I probably wouldn't have it by itself even though it is pretty awesome... it screams to have a dessert with it. I suspect just a plain cheese cake would also work... but to me, chocolate and cherry are also a natural pairing.... not that there is anything wrong with perhaps strawberries or even oranges.

In fact, it's so good... I may have to stock up on aspirin ( jk ) :D

Tony

Staff member
hahaha. I'm a cheesecake fan, but dont' like anything else on it. I will eat the other ones, but you can give me just the filling and I will make it go away lol. And I'm sure your pallet is a little more refined than mine is. I like whiskey, wait, I LOVE whiskey! But, I'm willing to try anything once.

RandyDSok

And I'm sure your pallet is a little more refined than mine is.

Fooled another one... :D

I was never a heavy drinker before... so not drinking was no loss except on rare occasions... but I never cared for whiskey, scotch or rye before.

RMB677

I've also came across a chocolate wine at Sam's club and picked up a couple of bottles. If I remember correctly the name is CoCovin. It's not bad, makes a good dessert wine or a novelty drink for when friends come over. I think its imported from Belgum.

RandyDSok

I'd already known that certain wines pair well with chocolates just as others may be paired with cheese's or other foods and desserts... That wouldn't have surprised me had that been all there was... but not being a wine person myself, I'd simply never heard of a wine that had a chocolate or cocoa flavor added to it like this one has.

I really liked how this one is blended... the merlot was the primary flavor and the chocolate, while certainly present, it doesn't overwhelm the merlot it supports it.

I did do a bit of internet searching about these types of wines... and there are a lot of variations available. Some are being paired with ports and other types of wine... some are more chocolate than wine flavored. It was also cool to read about the number of local wineries that are out there now... It appears that what is the most important thing about a good wine is how long the grapes had been grown in a region or place. I certainly wouldn't be looking at Sam's/Walmart whom don't even have any interest in their community, workers or vendors and only focus on their bottom line... just too much of a gamble for me.

RandyDSok

Hi Randy, it is sold here in the UK, I really like it but it gets a bit sickly. I dont eat chocolate.

That is a little like thinking all hamburgers taste the same no matter where you get them from... I seriously doubt that you've tried the one Canadian River Winery has made. I'm certain that other wineries have made good examples but each one will differ in their flavor profile with a lot depending on the grape they are made from.

Haven't had the chocolate wine, but have enjoyed a very nice chilli wine. Can't remember what grape was used, but it was very very nice.
As for chocolate, friends had a chocolate vodka liquer, and that was absolutely stunning. Perfect drink to finish the night off with.... mind you when we were finishing the night off, i don't think it would've mattered what we had! haha
there is a winery out here in Oz that is doing an ice wine but using shiraz, just like to give these guys a heads up, it is really nice, and does make a very nice dessert wine for the end of a nice meal

Top Bottom