250 Chinese Weights

Tony

Staff member
What weights? I'm not aware of any weights. And on the shims, are you talking about the tail boom? If so, just use scotch tape. That is what I use when a tail will not stay put.

They just call it Chinese weights actually it's really used on real helicopters what it is is either a longer tail grip bolt with a nut or two nuts on it the side closer to the hub is the weighted side. Micro Heli sales weighted blade grips for the 180 cfx what it does is makes the amount of force the servo has to give to pull the linkage like 50% less I don't know the scientific numbers but there's a lot of videos out on this I don't know how to link a video but there's some real good ones from the engineer Rob renz. He also has a video on a crushable spacer for the tail grip Hub to take all the slop out of the T-Rex 250 it's a preload little shim kit and I'm told that works amazingly well

ChopDrifter

do you have a pic of your current tail grips, cause if they are the weighted grips there's no need for the Chinese weights(waste of $$$). Just make sure you have a fast, strong decent tail servo.

I can't send you a picture till I get home but I'm positive they're not the weighted ones it's a stock 250 Pro DFC combo kit I believe the tale Servo is a 425 m digital Servo there's hella slop in the blade grips and the servo Rod is like unbelievable hard to pull back and forth

ChopDrifter

yeah try your best to take out any binding and minimise any slop as much as you can. Everything should be silky smooth

murankar

Staff member
It's the blade grips with the extra piece of metal dowel on them. The were marketed as counter weights and became known as Chinese weights as a joke. Align was the birth mother of that whole deal.

It was a helicopter somebody put together and sold on eBay they said all it needed was a gyro it was put together and servos were installed everything looked great and after further inspection of the tail close up I noticed there was screws loose and I started checking nothing was locked tided I took it all apart turns out it had a notchy swas plate bearing and some other things were kind of not right after I tighten the screws up and locktite everything . the tail grips has no play whatsoever so

Attachments

• 15088103625931798501838.jpg
    15088103625931798501838.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 9

murankar

Staff member
Those are the Chinese weights. When someone refers to Chinese weights that's what they are talking about, counter weighted tail blade grips.

Those became popular back around 2012ish . Align was a huge proponent of those. Not sure why because they don't after any advantage. If they do then I feel it's minimal at best.

ChopDrifter

Yeah the Chinese Weights were suppose to reduce the racket effect(force) on the tail. As you said it was introduced a very long time ago, back then there wasn't much Strong, Fast, Small servos available, and because of this people were using weak servos that would burn out or die early in the game. Hence the Chinese Weights came along. Now days there's a lot of small,fast, strong servos available so these servos can with stand these forces. The Align weighted grips did drop the force by 10%, but in today's big choices of servos, it's no longer a requirement. Here's a pic of a trex 250 using a HUGE tail servo, to with stand the racket effect.

It's a 500 size mini servo

Attachments

• cimg0482.jpg
    cimg0482.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 6
Top Bottom