Chargers Charging Bats!

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I have some Turnigy Nano-tech, 5000 mah 3s 45-90c. Also some Voltz 2200mah, 3s, 35c. They seam to take forever to charge. I know I'm runn my chargers at only 2 amps. What charge rate should I be useing on these batteries?

:feedback::feedback::feedback:

Morelight

Fearless Freep
I don't know about the 5000's Sam, but I have the same size 2200 3s 35C ones for my 450Pro. I charge mine at 0.7A lipo balance and they take close to 2 hours to top up. I don't push the charge since I don't want a fire at home or short batt life, so I don't mind the extra charge time.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I here you. I normally charge them at 2 amps with no problems. the batteries don't even get warm.

Tony

Staff member
for a 5000mah, you should charge at 5 amps if it's a 1c charge rate battery. If it's a 2c, then you can charge at 10 amps and so on.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
ok i just took another look at the bats. the 5000 mah bats say 10c charge rate so is that 10 amps? the 2200 mah bats say 6c charge rate. is that 6 amps?

Tony

Staff member
charge them at 2.2 amps if a 1c and 4.4 amps if a 2c and so on. To calculate this, devide your mah by 1000. so 5000/1000=5, 2200/1000=2.2

Tony

Staff member
If you are talking about charge rates, that is the rate at which you can charge the battery. Equasion for that is mah/1000*C. So if you have a 5000mah pack that can be charged at a 6c rating, then it's 5000/1000*6=30a. I would never actually charge a battery with that many amps, but if that is what you have, then that is what it can handle.

If you are talking about the C rating that is on the label, then that is your discharge rating.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
No, on the back of the 5000's it says charging rate 10C on the 2200's it says charging rate 6C. Its ok I'll use 5 amps for the big one and 3 for the small ones! LOL

murankar

Staff member
Wow, I just discovered that my GensAce batteries are rated at 5C. This could reduce my chrge times. I did not think that a $17 battery would be able to go over 1c. I have been doing mine at 1c since I got them and they never even get warm. I am wondering if I should push 2 or even 3c of charge on these.

Tony

Staff member
Try it at 2c and check the battery the whole time. then check 3c. Once you feel the battery getting warm, back it down a little. If I start playing with charging like this, I will do it on two cinder blocks. One flat, and one with dual holes in it like you would build a wall with. Even if the battery catches on fire, nothing is going to happen.

murankar

Staff member
Last night did 1000 mah in about 35 min, @ 4.2 A. The battery did not get warm, but that was only 1000 mah. My charger will not go past 4.5 A on a 3s battery, so I will never get the full 5c rate. I Like that I might be able to get in more flight time during my weekends. now. Waiting for almost three hours between flights is aggravating.

Tony

Staff member
Good deal. I know I have always charged more than a 1c rate even before they suggested it. I just stayed with the battery to watch it and keep an eye on the temp.

Al3000

No, on the back of the 5000's it says charging rate 10C on the 2200's it says charging rate 6C. Its ok I'll use 5 amps for the big one and 3 for the small ones! LOL
Does anyone know how to charge , or tapping as some say a low voltage battery? some say that connect the lipo with a 9 vol battery , is it safe to do that? and when you guys talking about charging a 5000mah on 2,2c are A , or so ...does,nt your charger regulate these nummber automaticly ? well ,cuz mine it does . i just have to give the mah nummber and it does the rest.have a nice sonny windless day cuze we have,nt got these golden days in denmark ...sad:dread:

Westy

LEGEND
I thought I had killed my Batteries ..... they got so far out of balance that it would say full and one cell was at 4.2V and the others were will down at 3.96. So I charged each one up as a single cell (1s LIPO) using a couple of old connection wires as probes and ran the main power feed into that set of wires instead of into my main bat deans plug.... then I took it for a fly and made sure I was only up for about 4 minutes.

Came back ... put it on charge at 10 amps (6s 5000MAH) and all cells came up to 4.19 - 4.2 I was happy as a sand boy! ..... even the swelling came down on it! so not sure what I did, but it seems to have worked.

Lee

I have one battery that is doing that 5 cells say 4.13 but the 6th is a 4.22. My problem is that they are all balanced up until 4.13 then they just stop and the other keeps going.

Westy

LEGEND
try charging each one cell separately and see how you go. takes ages ..... then I just ran the heli on a light load run for 4 mins and put it on balance ..... took over 200 minutes to balance it .... but it was perfect! now it charges as per normal..... where as before it was doing your issue all the time.....

Top Bottom