Chargers Charger [static electricity]

hello can someone help with this problem i'm having with my charger? i notice if i have static electric built up on me or my cloths if i touch my charger when it's charging or discharging etc.etc. it scramble the reading all up the display goes all haywire. is there a fix for this?

pvolcko

What power supply and/or charger are you using?

Is it plugged into a 3 prong outlet? Does the outlet have a good ground (homes built before the 80 frequently have poor ground wiring to the outlets)?

Is your charger or power supply modified in any way (perhaps one of those McGuyver'd dual server power supplies)?

If all that checks out fine, then you just need to discharge yourself before touching it. Either touch something metal in the area first (iron railing, table/chair leg, door knob, screw on an outlet/switch cover, etc.) or invest in a static discharge mat/strap to use before touching the charging station.

Stambo

hello can someone help with this problem i'm having with my charger? i notice if i have static electric built up on me or my cloths if i touch my charger when it's charging or discharging etc.etc. it scramble the reading all up the display goes all haywire. is there a fix for this?

Simple, don't touch the charger when it's charging or discharging. :) :biggrin1:

Simple, don't touch the charger when it's charging or discharging. :) :biggrin1:

yes it could be that simple but i lke to cycle through my options to see the balance and other readings. your wright the only thing is when i go to press the button to shut it off.

pvolcko has a good idea discharge myself before touching the charger:shocked:

Tony

Staff member
They have what is called a grounding probe at aquarium shops. It looks like a standard plug, however it only uses the ground plug. No power is going through it. You could get one of these and touch it before touching the charger. You can just leave it setting on the desk.

murankar

Staff member
If you go that route I would add an esd mat and a esd wrist strap. Then when ever your at your hobby bench just slap the strap on and you'll be grounded. One other thing I have done is take my shoes and socks off and roll my pant legs. By doing this you can reduce the amount of esd from your clothing.

Oh yeah forgot something
Your mat would be connected to the grounding rod the the strap connects to the mat.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Last edited:
Top Bottom