Power Supply's Charger Power Supply Setup?

I am new and I'm working on getting a power supply for a charger.....What is a good power supply for it and a typical setup? Thanks!

RandyDSok

You can't ask a generic question like that for a technical subject... each charger has different requirements so will require a supply that can provide for those requirements. You should say which charger you are trying to find a supply for... what are it's required/allowed input voltage and how many amps it requires etc...

You can't ask a generic question like that for a technical subject... each charger has different requirements so will require a supply that can provide for those requirements. You should say which charger you are trying to find a supply for... what are it's required/allowed input voltage and how many amps it requires etc...

I will work on getting the details of the charger; I was just wondering what a typical power supply setup was.

- - - Updated - - -

I am thinking that I will get the Dynam Supermate DC6 charger.... Below is a link to it
http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dyc-1004.html

RandyDSok

As I mentioned... there is no typical, just as there is no typical charger since they are all made with different features like the type of batteries being charged, number of cells they are made to charge... the amount of amperage output they are capable of and other details.

I will also need an AC power adapter....

- - - Updated - - -

Nevermind, sorry rdsok, I think I should have done more researching, I am thinking about just getting the Thunder AC6 smart charger... Below is the link to it.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

RandyDSok

No need to say you're sorry... everyone must learn at some point.

The Thunder AC6 is by no means a top end charger but it has some really nice features and will be a good basic charger to begin with. I have one and like it's flexibility to work from AC without an adapter/charger or from a 12v source at the flying field. If at some point you want to move up... you can always get another that will allow faster charging or perhaps charging multiple batteries at a time... of course that type of setup will cost much more to get a decent setup.

Stambo

Once you get a good charger there are plenty of tutorials on converting an old PC power supply.

That is actually what I was referring to.... So, does everyone roll with the old pc power supply then? Like, there is really no better solution to that?

RandyDSok

While an old pc power supply will work... that is a cheap way out and there are better solutions. Higher end server power supplies are a step up ( at the very least ). Again, it would depend on what you are trying to do, what power/amperage output your charger you would be using needed and other factors. I see a lot of newbie rc-er's that go for the cheap route, often they end up disappointed because the quality is not found in the product they chose ( because they didn't look for quality, or didn't know what it was they were looking at ).

Just as an example of good chargers and power supplies...

Here are some mid-range to higher end chargers here ProgressiveRC - Chargers - Chargers ... Each has their own requirements.

Here are the mid-range to higher end power supplies for chargers like those in the first link... ProgressiveRC - DC Power Supplies - Power Supplies . Again, which PS you'd choose would likely be based on what your charger needed.

I know that I am a far ways off of those chargers and power supplies, but I appreciate you broadening my mind to a wider variety of choices, thanks for your time and information.

Tony

Staff member
As stated, the AC6 will get you by with 3s batteries, but if you go 4s or higher, you will want to upgrade. I have the B6AC, which is the exact same as the AC6 and has a built in power supply (lappy supply is all it is). Gaba has a great write up on how to take two server power supplies and wire then up in series for those "BIG" chargers that require 24vDC and can charge up to 1000w or so. There are just so many chargers out there, and all of them require a specific power input. The AC6 is 11-14 I believe so you can run it off the car battery. but if you are going to run one of the big top end models, you will need a 24v power supply.

As stated, the AC6 will get you by with 3s batteries, but if you go 4s or higher, you will want to upgrade. I have the B6AC, which is the exact same as the AC6 and has a built in power supply (lappy supply is all it is). Gaba has a great write up on how to take two server power supplies and wire then up in series for those "BIG" chargers that require 24vDC and can charge up to 1000w or so. There are just so many chargers out there, and all of them require a specific power input. The AC6 is 11-14 I believe so you can run it off the car battery. but if you are going to run one of the big top end models, you will need a 24v power supply.

Yeah, no doubt. Thanks for broadening my knowledge!

Tony

Staff member
Speaking of charging, I need to charge my batteries lmao. Well, storage charge. Won't get another chance to fly until next weekend. sucks.

RandyDSok

The Thunder AC6 can actually charge from 2 up to 6 lipo cells... granted that the more cells you charge, the slower it is done. It's max is up to 50w or 5a. I think my 4s 4000mah batteries took around an hour and a half to recharge.

Decent charger/power supply combinations that can provide between 220w/10a to 350w/20a charge power start in the $120 - $160 range... both would allow much higher charge rates for not that much more money. If you want to charge multiple batteries at a time, up the price to about $370. There are also combinations that include a carrying case with various different charger/power supply options...

I still believe that the AC6 ( or similar ) is a great place to start and it doesn't break the bank.

The Thunder AC6 can actually charge from 2 up to 6 lipo cells... granted that the more cells you charge, the slower it is done. It's max is up to 50w or 5a. I think my 4s 4000mah batteries took around an hour and a half to recharge.

Decent charger/power supply combinations that can provide between 220w/10a to 350w/20a charge power start in the $120 - $160 range... both would allow much higher charge rates for not that much more money. If you want to charge multiple batteries at a time, up the price to about $370. There are also combinations that include a carrying case with various different charger/power supply options...

I still believe that the AC6 ( or similar ) is a great place to start and it doesn't break the bank.

Yeah, I :agree: with you. I am definitely a beginner and feel that this will be a great starting charger for me. I will only be powering a 3s 2200mah lipo battery (just one for now...) and I think that this will suit it more than enough.

RandyDSok

JUST ONE 3S BATTERY!!! :disgust:

Now that's something that needs rectified quickly... lol. You'll need at least two others ( if not more ) so after the first flight, you can start charging it and start flying another flight... rinse and repeat...

Tony

Staff member
Yup, I had one battery for a long time and put so many charges on it, that I killed it quite quickly. Looks like something that resembles a balloon now hahaha.

JUST ONE 3S BATTERY!!! :disgust:

Now that's something that needs rectified quickly... lol. You'll need at least two others ( if not more ) so after the first flight, you can start charging it and start flying another flight... rinse and repeat...

I am just beginning and am definitely working on getting multiple batteries....for sure.
Yup, I had one battery for a long time and put so many charges on it, that I killed it quite quickly. Looks like something that resembles a balloon now hahaha.

Yeah, I definitely don't want this to happen... but I can see it happening.

Top Bottom