Changed The Forum Structure

Tony

Staff member
I have received many complaints from new members as well as old that the forum was a little difficult to navigate. With all of the sub forums in the forum which you had to click on another section to locate, many people couldn't find what they were looking for.

I created the sub forum structure to clean up the face of the forum. I didn't want to see a long forum that you had to scroll for a while to find what you were looking for. But it seems the members didn't agree.

So today I went in and I separated out all of the sub forums. Instead of helicopters, airplanes, cars-trucks & multirotors being under "Rc-Vehicles", they are now their own sections. Within those sections are places to post.

Another thing I did was combined motors, servos, batteries, and ESC's. It was brought to my attention many times that there only needed to be one section for these items rather than having multiple sections all called the same name. Again, I'm going this in hopes of helping the new members as well as those that don't know how to navigate a forum.

All of this moving around and restructuring does have it's side effects though. It makes the forum longer. But I'm hoping that a longer forum will be an easier to navigate forum. I know that the members that have been here for a while will say it wasn't a problem before, but think of it in the eyes of someone just getting into the hobby and never been on a forum before. That is exactly what I had to do and is the reason it took two years to change it. But in those two years, I have received multiple requests to do it this way.

I look forward to hearing from everyone on this new change. Post your comments below and let me know what you think.

-Tony N.

Touchoco

Tony it's fine.

You've done a great job. I can tell as a begginer that it's easier too fing out what a section is about. Which is not alway easy. When you go too visit others forum you sometimes can't find anythings since nothing is organised in parts.

The main difficulty when I began was to understand if questions' titles where corresponding with what I was looking for. And this organisation is helpfull.

I have never stayed long without an answer here.

Thanks again for your time.

Jerryz

Hey Tony,
Just took at a look at the new structure. I think you did a great job. Makes a particular topic much easier to find.

Tony

Staff member
Tony it's fine.

You've done a great job. I can tell as a begginer that it's easier too fing out what a section is about. Which is not alway easy. When you go too visit others forum you sometimes can't find anythings since nothing is organised in parts.

The main difficulty when I began was to understand if questions' titles where corresponding with what I was looking for. And this organisation is helpfull.

I have never stayed long without an answer here.

Thanks again for your time.

We try to jump right on questions. I remember starting out asking the same questions as everyone else, and never getting a reply. So you either post again, or bump your thread and holy crap they came down on you like you just smashed their favorite toy lol. From day 1 I knew that this forum could never be "that" kind of forum.

Take it easy my little french lady.

Hey Tony,
Just took at a look at the new structure. I think you did a great job. Makes a particular topic much easier to find.

Thanks Jerry!

Hi Tony spot on mate now the best RC site is even better

Thanks Neil!

Looks really good Tony

Thanks bro.

I figured I would get at lease one person that didn't like it in hopes of gaining knowledge and improving it even more. But seems most are liking it so far. Thank you everyone and keep the comments and suggestions coming!

trainrider06

The only thing I would suggest would be something like a FBL section.
Broken down by different manufacturers maybe?? Because that seems to take up
a good bit of questions in the heli section at least....hey and maybe me and Neil can have our very own Kbar section!!! Lol

Tony

Staff member
lmao, you and Neil sure do like that kbar lmao.

I would make a FBL section, but if I do that, I would need to make a FB section as well. This something that I will think about and see if I can come up with something. There are still a lot of FB heli's out there, but more and more FBL's coming out every day.

trainrider06

Lol Neil should get a kick outta that suggestion...
Yeah I thought the same thing, but I was thinking of some way to keep from getting the different heli size sections clogged
up, and there are so many different controllers. Maybe start out with the BeastX, 3gX, IKon, Vbars? Since those are the most popular....maybe embed your how to's in that section also for each particular controller??
I don't know, just trying to think of how it was for me to find info easily.

murankar

Staff member
Tony you know I have been on here since almost 4 years now. I never had an issue with the forum. I have seen the many changes and lived through the rough spots.

Continue to do what needs to be done. Most of the time it's a few key strokes and a bruised forehead to get things done.

One thing I have noticed is the supporters section fell off the world. Does anyone on here know about it and or know how to get access to the section? I would like to see some new faces in the supporters section. We can have lots of fun there.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Forum Runner

Tony

Staff member
lol, it's long, that's for sure. But hopefully this will help those that want to open up a page (forum.php) and be able to see the exact section to go into. There are still sub forums in some of the sections, but I never heard anyone complain about these sections.

vimy

Hello Tony, I like the new format.

Dare I say, it has an air of familiarity, like ummmm, other RC forums. No offence intended.

Without sounding picky....

OK, it is.... Can you please move the TRANSMITTERS, RECEIVERS AND CHARGERS section either directly above or below the ELECTRONICS section?

That way, it keeps all of the electronic orientated subjects all together.

I read the title of one of the threads you started. Just for a laugh, is it the "Castle Talon" has ninety problems or does the "Castle Talon 90" have problems? :p

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Quite honestly, I just started pulling sub forums out and moving threads. Never went to any other forum to see how their structures are formatted. If it's similar to other forums, I do apologize and was not trying to copy anyone.

And I will get the transmitters moved here in a bit.

As for the castle thread, that is not going to be mine. I don't have a castle ESC for aircraft. I have one for a car, but not aircraft.

murankar

Staff member
I think following other structures is better in the long run. It gives the user a consistent feel from other forums.

vimy

Quite honestly, I just started pulling sub forums out and moving threads. Never went to any other forum to see how their structures are formatted. If it's similar to other forums, I do apologize and was not trying to copy anyone.

And I will get the transmitters moved here in a bit.

As for the castle thread, that is not going to be mine. I don't have a castle ESC for aircraft. I have one for a car, but not aircraft.

Tony, sorry, I was not having a go at you.

You're not copying anyone, the new format is excellent in it's own right, though I do see what you meant about trying to keep it as compact as possible with the other design.

Both are easy to navigate.

Apologies again Tony for attributing the start of the Castle Talon 90 thread to you. My fault for not opening it and forgetting the last name mentioned was the last one to comment. I have not been on here for a while.

The main characteristics of this forum are

1. the overall look of it, I like the black background with the orange text. Very easy to look at and I don't get sore eyes. Yes, it is user changeable but no need.

2. and most importantly, and almost unique to RC Help, is how friendly this site is. I have never seen any heated or insulting comments made anywhere I have gone to in RC Help. This is a tribute to you Tony and to all the members.

Cheers,

Gary

Last edited:
Top Bottom