ESC CC Talon 90 program change of initial spool up rate & re-calibration? (TREX 550E)

Bruno

Currently I do not have nor do I want autorotation activated.

The motor engages as soon as the throttle stick is lifted off 0% (which is good) and soft start initial spool up rate is set to "medium" (5) in CC program.

However, after spool up/soft start, if the stick hits 0% (all the way down) this activates soft start again. If this happens during flight the spool up rate is not fast enough to pull her back into the air. She will crash. I rarely fly in IU as I am still learning.

So, I think I'm gonna increase the initial spool up rate to "8" and see what that is like.

QUESTIONS:
1) After changing initial spool up rate do I have to recalibrate ESC endpoints?

2) Do I have to re-bind the BX after any of the above referenced changes?

Any answers or suggestions are appreciated. :eagerness:

Last edited:

pvolcko

Re: CC Talon 90 program change of initial spool up rate & re-calibration?

1) No

2) No

However, I have to ask under what flight condition are you going to 0 throttle while flying in normal mode? This really shouldn't be happening. IF you find you'd doing that in order to lower your altitude you may want to put a little more negative pitch into your pitch curve for the 0-50 stick range. This will make it have a faster descent rate while allowing you to keep the throttle higher, away from shut off posiiton.

Another option, since you have soft start enabled, is to change your normal throttle curve to start higher, maybe something like 30-40-50-75-100. This way you will only shut the motor down when you hit throttle hold, and you will have to initialize and setup with throttle hold on too. Both of which you should be doing anyway. This way you will not risk turning off the ESC in mid flight unless you hit throttle hold, no matter the throttle stick position.

Bruno

Re: CC Talon 90 program change of initial spool up rate & re-calibration?

1) No

2) No

However, I have to ask under what flight condition are you going to 0 throttle while flying in normal mode? This really shouldn't be happening. IF you find you'd doing that in order to lower your altitude you may want to put a little more negative pitch into your pitch curve for the 0-50 stick range. This will make it have a faster descent rate while allowing you to keep the throttle higher, away from shut off posiiton.

Another option, since you have soft start enabled, is to change your normal throttle curve to start higher, maybe something like 30-40-50-75-100. This way you will only shut the motor down when you hit throttle hold, and you will have to initialize and setup with throttle hold on too. Both of which you should be doing anyway. This way you will not risk turning off the ESC in mid flight unless you hit throttle hold, no matter the throttle stick position.

Thanks for the feedback. I did not think about setting throttle to 30 and using throttle hold to spool up. I would think the receiver (BX) would not initialize unless throttle stick was at zero. I guess I am wrong?

In terms of hitting zero throttle during flight, I agree with your assessment. This bird (550E) is still in the build stage. She has not been in the air. I have a couple of Trex 450s and the 130X and the MCPX V2. I have flown all of them quite a bit. Still a beginner, Park Flyer aspiring to 450 rolls and flips.

However, I fail to realize if I ever had to or mistakenly dropped my throttle to 0 degrees during flight, probably not.

While building the 550 and experimenting with the ESC I noticed the effects of the soft start. I started thinking...what would happen if I mistakenly or intentionally dropped the throttle to 0 degrees during flight? Outside of IU or 3D flight I don't even know if 0 degree throttle during park flying would occur.

I may just wait and see how she is when I get her off the ground and bare this spool up feature in mind. I will be more conscious now of my throttle position when I fly any heli at least to see if 0 degree throttle during flight is a probable scenario.

Wow....that's a lot of words. Shows how obsessed I am with this bird and of course flight safety.

The throttle and pitch curves I will start out with are (same as my 450s):
Throttle: 0-50-75-90-100
Pitch: 43-45.5-50-75-100 with 11 degrees +/- pitch and 9 degrees aileron.

I have read some suggest raising the low throttle above 0 however I thought the BX would not initialize if the throttle were not at 0 degrees during initial spool up.

whattyathnk?

pvolcko

If you initialize with TH on then the Rx will see a 0 (or lower) throttle input and will init properly. This is how all my helis are setup and how I init them. Actually, on my 550X with 7200BX and CC ESC I have it setup so that I need to press the trainer button to initialize the ESC. TH only lowers down to around 8% throttle in order to trigger auto-rotation recovery's off mode, as opposed to the full reset off mode of 0% throttle. But if you aren't using auto-rotation recovery yet, then you can just roll with TH as 0% throttle output and that will work great for you.

kenkadish

I have a Trex 550 DFC with Talon 90 and AR7200bx. I probably am missing a setting somewhere, but even though I have TH set to zero across the board, the Talon 90 will not initialize in TH. My TC is 0-50-70-70-70. When I turn on the tx and plug in the battery with TH on, the bx initializes, and the head dances, but I do not get the Talon initialization music until I turn TH off and am at zero throttle. I have tried changing my TC to 10-50-70-70-70, but the Talon will not arm; it needs to see -0- in normal mode in order the play the music and arm. How can I get the Talon 90 to initialize and play the music with TH on and set to 0-0-0-0-0?

Ken

Lee

Are you going through the proper initialisation sequence.
Throttle stick at mid stick, plug in battery. Listen to the series of beeps. Head will do its little dance.
Then when you are ready to fly, drop throttle stick to low and the ESC will arm.

Top Bottom