ESC cc smoking?

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I have been flying for about 3 month on the CC Talon 35a esc. Yesterday, out of the blue, after plugging my 3rd battery so i can get ready to fly again and suddenly a lot of smoke was coming out of the esc. She is FRIED! I don't know why. I'm wondering if the 35a esc is to small for my flying. I have the esc mounted underneath the heli between the main gear and the landing skid. Inside the frame. I was wondering if the esc wasn't getting enough air where i installed it. Either way i must get another esc. I was thinking to go from 35a Talon to a 50a cc Phoenix edge lite esc, maybe this won't happen again. I hope that the esc burning up didn't hurt my other electronics" AR7200BX,KST DS 215mg and 3700KV T-motor. I haven't had the chance to test them out. Could the esc burned up because of enough air to cool off the esc? I checked the esc to see if any bad connection but everything seem fine. I don't know but i don't want my new esc to fry out like my other one. can anyone explain what might of happen or it was time for the esc to retire. Thanks for recent advice everyone. Keep up the good work.

Tony

Staff member
There are a million possibilitys on why this happened. Could be a bad esc, not enough airflow (I doubt it though, look at where align placed theirs on the pro models) but I don't think you need a 50a. I would go 40 max otherwise it will get quite large.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
There are a million possibilitys on why this happened. Could be a bad esc, not enough airflow (I doubt it though, look at where align placed theirs on the pro models) but I don't think you need a 50a. I would go 40 max otherwise it will get quite large.
Thank you for the reply. I didn't think the air flow was a problem but wasn't sure. You say that 50a is too much. Should i get another cc 35a" since there's no 40a for cc." or how about Hobby wing 40a esc. I haven't heard any good or bad things about Hobby wing esc. Can't forget Scorpion commander V3 45a 4 cell esc, if that will work. I could use some helpful advice before i purchase a esc.

Tony

Staff member
Let me get home and do some research. I'm out on the road working and cell reception sucks out here. Took a few minutes for this page to load. I hope it's the connection and not the server anyway lol. I will get back with you though.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Let me get home and do some research. I'm out on the road working and cell reception sucks out here. Took a few minutes for this page to load. I hope it's the connection and not the server anyway lol. I will get back with you though.
Thanks! No hurry, can't fly without esc and the weather in FLA is raining for the next couple of days. YUCK.

Lee

The current draw on a 450 is anywhere between 10-20A.
All sorts of things can affect it.
Drive chain binding or too tight.
High powered servos
Damaged servo

Those servos are quite power hungry. What Voltage do you run them at?

The Hobby wing ESC are very good as is the 50A CC Phoenix lite.

Tony

Staff member
i have never had an issue with the Align 35a esc that comes with the 450's. But then again, I don't fly much. I have heard of the CC's just crapping out or catching on fire, so I have stayed away from them. They were supposed to have fixed the issue, but I still don't trust them. The Hobby-Wing ESC's are a clone, adn the soft start is not that great on them. I would definitely stick with the upper end ESC's though. If it were me, I would get the Align 35a ESC since that is what I have used in the past and it works. I don't use the governor on a 450, so the useless gov on the Align ESC isn't a worry.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
The current draw on a 450 is anywhere between 10-20A.
All sorts of things can affect it.
Drive chain binding or too tight.
High powered servos
Damaged servo

Those servos are quite power hungry. What Voltage do you run them at?

The Hobby wing ESC are very good as is the 50A CC Phoenix lite.

Hey Lee, I didn't know that those servos are power hungry. I'm running 160Hz "Blue flashing on AR7200BX" and 1520 frequency. I'm going to put my old 45a Yep esc and see how that works for the time being. I like to have back up.

murankar

Staff member
Back in the day CC's built in bec had a high propensity to fail and when the did it would pass full input power through the ESC and fry everything. Of course that was back in the day.

I have the 50 amp Phoenix lite now and with my light flying I don't have an issue. I also have an external CC bec with a 10amp max output. My bec and ESC both have user set voltage output. If my bec goes then I will switch to the built in bec until I replace it.

Other escs to try would be scorpion. When it was new I had no issues with it. It is rated for 45 amps with a 5 amp bec. Voltage output is static set. I don't think I can change it because I never adjusted it. One down side to the Commander 45 amp is that it will get super hot if the motor is not spinning. I was doing some setup and noticed it got super hot so I had to take a break. I have yet to have that issue with the CC.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Lee

Hey Lee, I didn't know that those servos are power hungry. I'm running 160Hz "Blue flashing on AR7200BX" and 1520 frequency. I'm going to put my old 45a Yep esc and see how that works for the time being. I like to have back up.

I have had the YEP 45A esc in my Warp 360 now for two years.
It hasn't skipped a beat in all that time, and the BEC can handle the servos too.

The Castle Creation 160HV had an issue two years ago with some fires, but thats not the case any more.
I know Justin from RCHN has one on his speed machine running it at over 200A without an issue.

The Hobbywing escs were the best brand, Chinese ESCs a couple of years ago.
Now they have a very good reputation. There 120HV was the go to, quality at a reasonable price ESC for 700s for a long time.
And there new Platinum 50A V3 ESC it very popular in the 6S 450 size birds.
I had the standard 40A HW in one of my 3S 450s, and it flew really well.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Back in the day CC's built in bec had a high propensity to fail and when the did it would pass full input power through the ESC and fry everything. Of course that was back in the day.

I have the 50 amp Phoenix lite now and with my light flying I don't have an issue. I also have an external CC bec with a 10amp max output. My bec and ESC both have user set voltage output. If my bec goes then I will switch to the built in bec until I replace it.

Other escs to try would be scorpion. When it was new I had no issues with it. It is rated for 45 amps with a 5 amp bec. Voltage output is static set. I don't think I can change it because I never adjusted it. One down side to the Commander 45 amp is that it will get super hot if the motor is not spinning. I was doing some setup and noticed it got super hot so I had to take a break. I have yet to have that issue with the CC.

Well i did some testing and i think you are right about pass full input power, esc fried my RX and I'm not happy camper. Thanks for the help but i guess i better find and Rx first before worrying about Esc.

murankar

Staff member
That very thing happen to Justin Pucci on RCHN twice. Full voltage to his RX and everything else on the bec. That is a downside to becs. While your looking for a new RX keep your eyes out for a decent ESC. If your not hammering on your heli then just about any mid grade or better ESC will work.

As Lee stated that problem should have been fixed by now at least on the Phoenix edge series anyways.

If your worried about anything there is always Kontronic! Lol

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
That very thing happen to Justin Pucci on RCHN twice. Full voltage to his RX and everything else on the bec. That is a downside to becs. While your looking for a new RX keep your eyes out for a decent ESC. If your not hammering on your heli then just about any mid grade or better ESC will work.

As Lee stated that problem should have been fixed by now at least on the Phoenix edge series anyways.

If your worried about anything there is always Kontronic! Lol

Kontronic, yeah right. I'm going to get another AR7200BX. That Rx worked fine for me. For the esc, i really don't know yet. I was happy with CC talon 35a till it fried. My back up is the Yep 45a that I'll have. I also have Devo 7 TX with a Devo 601 RX that i never set up. Can i use the same number for throttle/pitch curves from my DX6i to my Devo 7 so i can fly for the time being. Maybe a video that can show me how to set up my Tarot 450 with the Devo RX & TX. Any setup suggestion would be appreciated for a Tarot 450 pro DFC/ KST DS215MG servos/ Yep 45a esc/ T-motor 3700KV. Hope this might help. I just want to get back in the air. Thanks everyone.

murankar

Staff member
For setup on devo just start at your current numbers and adjust form there. I never set one up and I think we have only 1 or 2 other members with this radio.

Top Bottom