FBL Gyro Cc Phoenix Ice2 Hv 120 Question

Spencer

this is the ESC that came with my 800E combo. is there a need to add a separate \bec and run a separate battery for my receiver/FBL controller? I did buy a CC BEC pro so I am open to either way just not sure it is worth it

Tony

Staff member
If I remember correctly, that ESC is an OPTO, meaning it can not power the Rx or servos directly. So you will need either a Rx pack or you will need a BEC. If you want to use a Rx pack, this will do two things. 1. it will give you a separate source of power just in case something happens to your flight pack, but 2. it adds another point of failure.

The BEC you can run off of the flight battery or you can run it off of a separate Rx battery, but it can be much larger for more voltage. If you run it off of your flight pack, and it somehow desolders the main leads from the pack, you will lose your helicopter since you lose power to everything. If you use a separate battery for the BEC, then if the main flight pack loses power for some reason, you will still have control of your servos and you should still have a connection between your Tx and Rx. This will allow you to land with an auto and save a very expensive helicopter.

I myself have never used a separate Rx pack (other than in nitro) and always powered from the main flight pack on everything. Cars/Trucks, planes, helicopters, and multi-rotors. All of them I use the main flight pack. Just make sure you are not over stressing the pack.

Smoggie

Yep, Tony is spot on. the Ice HV range of ESCs do not have an inbuilt BEC, so you will need to provide a separate power source for the receiver/FBL/servos.

I used to run a separate flight pack and this works well if you have HV servos because they can run straight from a small 2S Lipo. It's slightly less straightforward if you have standard servos that need 6V max. A 2S life generally works ok even though it does exceed the official max voltage of the servos. These days though on my big helis I just run an HV BEC that takes power direct from the main flight battery this means you can set the exact voltage you want and no need to charge a separate battery. The CC BEC Pro would work fine.

Spencer

Any chance there is a link to a good wiring diagram? My understanding is my flight pack will have to be 2 - 6s packs run in series to get 12s. So where do I pull off power for the BEC?

Top Bottom