ESC Castle HV ICE ESC Autorotation Enable

Derek

I imagine the solution to my question is the same for all Castle HV ESC's, that's why I titled this thread that way.

I have the CC ICE HV 80amp esc on my 600. Using the Castle Link, there is a box that can be checked that says "Auto-Rotation Enable". If this box is not checked, then will the ESC recover well from an "auto bail out" or is it the other way around?

It's quite obvious that I'm just not understanding the terminology when I click on the "?" for info.

Lee

If the box is checked, it will allow the motor to spool up quickly for Auto bailout.
Otherwise it will return to soft start, which you don't want. Ask me how I know LOL :D

pvolcko

When it is enabled there are effectively two low throttle positions of concern, instead of the normal one. At around 7-10% it will trip into zero power, auto-rotation bailout mode. IF you apply throttle again from this point it will spool up quickly (speed of spool up is controlled by the other box next to that checkbox in the software). Then at 0-2% or something like that it will still be zero throttle output, but it will reset to a soft start. When firing up the ESC it will be necessary, I believe, for it to get this soft reset throttle input signal level in order for it to initialize.

On the helis I used this feature I set my throttle hold switch to go to that 7-8% point which turns off motor power, but puts it into auto-rotation bailout mode. That way if I switch out of it, it will spin up fast (I need to set a custom spool up speed, the "high" setting is still too slow for my liking). I then setup a throttle cut button (usually the push button used for trainer/binding) to send a 0% throttle signal out, which will reset the ESC for initialization purposes at power up and also if I want to reset to a soft spool up for another take off. If you utilize a normal flight mode with a 0-something part of the throttle curve then you may not need this later bit. I use governed flat throttle curve for normal and both IU modes so I wanted to use a throttle cut setting instead.

Erfan

Some good tips there pvoicko, I will look into that 7-8% tip, sounds like something I should have as well.

Update on the esc: It turns out that the esc was most likely a bad example, it completely died yesterday on the third flight of the day. And it could not have been a heating issue since it was now mounted outside in the back on top of the frame and good a lot of air. I even checked with a heat gun and I could easily put my fingers on it without getting burned.

I also noticed something got loose inside of it, you could hear something rumbling around inside if you shook it a little, hopefully CastleCreations will send me a new one since this one was only used exactly 31 times, just couple of months old.

But it has cost me too much money on repairs, at least yesterday I could do a more controlled crash and broke the skids only, the first time it happened I could not save it and cost me a lot in repairs... :(

- - - Updated - - -

Some good tips there pvoicko, I will look into that 7-8% tip, sounds like something I should have as well.

Update on the esc: It turns out that the esc was most likely a bad example, it completely died yesterday on the third flight of the day. And it could not have been a heating issue since it was now mounted outside in the back on top of the frame and good a lot of air. I even checked with a heat gun and I could easily put my fingers on it without getting burned.

I also noticed something got loose inside of it, you could hear something rumbling around inside if you shook it a little, hopefully CastleCreations will send me a new one since this one was only used exactly 31 times, just couple of months old.

But it has cost me too much money on repairs, at least yesterday I could do a more controlled crash and broke the skids only, the first time it happened I could not save it and cost me a lot in repairs... :(

Ops, I wrote in the wrong thread, my bad :D

Top Bottom