ESC castle edge 100 problems

bbj

Nothing works to arm/initialize my new castle phoenix edge 100 esc. I made sure the settings via the Castle link are correct on the computer. They are set for throttle: auto calibrate endpoint and the other is fixed endpoint. I have tried both settings with no luck. All the other settings I left at default factory settings. I am using a spectrum receiver Ar9020 with 2 satellites and DX9 tx. Some of the things I have tried are first to make sure I am in a linear throttle curve 0,25,50,75,100. Per the instructions of the esc all that was needed was to bind my receiver, put the throttle at mid position and eventually lower to 0 throttle. All I hear is the original first esc beep, then the battery cell count and nothing else after that. I also tried to change to fixed endpoint and set my tx throttle servo setting to 30 for up and down positions. Then I plugged in the esc and with throttle at high increased the servo throttle setting to 100 and above all the way to 130 with no beep from the esc. I also tried the low servo setting from 30 and increased it to above 100 also with no beep. I also tried changing my trims to -100 but with no initialization of the esc. The last thing I did was use a new Ar9020 receiver but also with no luck getting this esc to initialize/arm.

The videos I've seen show the old adjust for throttle endpoints such as I used on my 2 Talon 90 esc's. Which is as I described above with no luck. What do I need to do for this Edge 100 to initialize/arm? Have run out of ideas.

Smoggie

First thing to check is that you are in the correct flight mode so that the 0 to 100 curve is active.
Failing that I'm assuming we are talking about a heli with FBL controller? If so you could try plugging the throttle direct to the receiver. This is just to take the FBL controller out of the equation and help to narrow down where the problem is.

bbj

First thing to check is that you are in the correct flight mode so that the 0 to 100 curve is active.
Failing that I'm assuming we are talking about a heli with FBL controller? If so you could try plugging the throttle direct to the receiver. This is just to take the FBL controller out of the equation and help to narrow down where the problem is.

Actually I am using this Edge 100 in my P51D mustang plane and it uses only a receiver. I never thought to try using one of my Ikons from my heli's with the receiver which may work.

Smoggie

only other thing I can think of is the ESC throttle is plugged into the wrong channel on the Rx. To test you can plug the rudder or elevator into the connection that the ESC is now in and see if the servo moves when you move the throttle stick.

Last edited:

bbj

I finally solved the problem. There was nothing wrong with the Castle Edge 100 esc. Instead the spectrum Ar9020 receiver requires 2 satellites to be attached to it for it to communicate with the esc. Something so simple as to hook up a 2nd satellite was all that needed to be done. I hope others who use this Spectrum receiver are now aware at least 2 satellites are required for operation of this receiver. I had this Ar9020 originally on my Trex 500 DFC with the 3GX gyro but when the stock esc went up in smoke and ruined the 3GX I upgraded to the Castle Talon 90 and the Ikon thus had no reason to also use this receiver. At the time I needed extra satellites because of all the carbon fiber in the heli frame and didn't think in a foam warbird that I would need 2 extra satellites plus the antenna on the Ar9020 receiver. Guess I was wrong.

Emilio Rossi

My castle talon 90 is working but when you spool up the helicopter is starts up very slow and builds up faster as it spools up you don`t know when it is going to lift off the ground. It is like you don`t have control of the helicopter is this esc set up right and can it be fixed to spool up faster.

My castle talon 90 is working but when you spool up the helicopter is starts up very slow and builds up faster as it spools up you don`t know when it is going to lift off the ground. It is like you don`t have control of the helicopter is this esc set up right and can it be fixed to spool up faster.

I like my soft-starts like that so the tail doesn't drift or kick when it spools up. I personally wait until it builds enough head speed to lift in to a hover then take it off of the ground into a hover real quick to avoid ground resonance. After I get it off of the ground I wait until the esc/throttle curve levels out.

Yes, you can change the soft-start speed.

Top Bottom