Carbon Fiber Sheet

bigone5500

Didn't know what forum to put this in but I'm looking for a sheet of carbon fiber. I want some 1.5mm thick and around a 10 x 30mm piece. Have any of you ever bought this stuff? Where did you find the best deal?

bigone5500

That's one of them I saw. I was thinking that the price may be high but in actuality, that's a very reasonable amount. I have seen those sheets go for upwards of $50. I want it to make replacement supports for my quad frame. When I lengthen the spacers I will need to replace the camera mounts with longer ones. I can use my dremel to cut out new ones using the old ones as a starting template.

Why does the sheet need to be sealed on the edges with CA? Does it fray?

What is the best cutter to use on this? Is it as aggressive as G10 fiberglass?

Tony

Staff member
You seal the edges so the laminations don't separate. Remember, this is chinese grade cheap carbon fiber. It can and will come apart. And putting some CA on the edge will help add a little strength to it as well.

I always used a dremel or a die grinder with a standard metal cut off wheel (abrasive wheel). Just be sure to wear a dust mask and eye protection. This stuff sucks worse than fiberglass lol. And it is pretty strong, much stronger IMO than any fiberglass out there. But it cuts about the same. Just takes a little longer.

Top Bottom