Spektrum Can't see the screen on the DX6i

Jayba

After speaking with Horizon and finding out that not only will a mod void the warranty, but they won't even work on it at all, certainly this is discouraging me to put one in, but at 66 yrs old, still can't see it. If I spend the extra money to put one in, void the warranty or backup support from Horizon, now IM figuring that I might be better off selling the 6 and purchasing the DX8. I understand the 6 is a good unit and can take someone a long way before needing more channels, but I still can't read the screen and would sure like to. Being new, (3rd time in my life) I know very little about the desirability of each of these transmitters, any suggestions, ideas, opinions, critiques, would be greatly appreciated. Is the 8 a better radio aside from having more channels and a backlight?????:confusion:

callsign4223

Staff member
The DX8 has a few advantages over the DX6i. I have owned both and loved both. Here are the bullet points

DX8 is 8 channels vs the DX6i at 6 channels

DX8 has a back lit screen and the DX6i does not

DX8 uses 3 position switches vs the 2 position switches on the DX6i

DX8 has a couple of extra switches such as the RT and LT trim switches and the aux 3 knob on top

DX8 has smoother gimbals compared to the DX6i

DX8 holds 30 models vs 10 for the DX6i

DX8 has the ability to store and transfer models via the SD card slot

Those are some of the main differences I can remember off the top of my head.

Lee

The DX6I is a good entry level radio, but the DX8 is a radio you will use for a very long time. As Matt said, the differences are huge, especially the feel of the sticks.

Jayba

WOW, what a great response, this is exactly the type of opinion I was looking for. The one feature you've mentioned that I have heard a couple of times, is the gimbals are smoother, that's sounds desirable, (not that the 6 is bad), and I guess the 8 will take me further too. IM leaning towards making the change, although I need to wait until I get situated with a new 130x (not purchased yet)(currently flying 2 120SR's, with so much time spent flying the 120, I decided to build one up just for the fun and ex[erience of building, the only thing that is stock on my second 120 is the 3 - in - 1 board..
Started with CX2, MCX2 and after flying numerous times every day for the past month have outgrown a 120SR (although I do love it) I plan on continuing my education on piloting with the 130x then moving up to a larger one, like the T-Rex 450, what a beauty. Thanks again so much for all the points you mention, it really helps, judging from the response I can see this site is going to be blessing. I also appreciate the warm welcome, thanks to those.

- - - Updated - - -

IM sold, thanks for that review, Good point that you make, I'll probably be happier with the 8 in the long run.

- - - Updated - - -

IM sold, thanks for that review, Good point that you make, I'll probably be happier with the 8 in the long run. I meant to post this here to Lee, accidentally resonded to Matt's post. Still learning how to use the forum in addition to learning flying.

callsign4223

Staff member
I loved my DX6i, however it had a backlight mod on it. When the mod broke, it drove me nuts. I fixed the mod and was in love again. I went to the DX8 for 2 reasons. Number one, I got a steal on it. Almost brand new for $250. Also, I was planning on building a quad for aerial photography and needed more channels to control both the camera gimbal and the quad. The gimbals are SOOOO much smoother. The DX6i gimbals are nice, until you feel the DX8 ones. The DX8 gimbals just feel so silky smooth it's not even describable. You just have to get your hands on one to feel the difference.

I have the DX8 and love it. Dad has had a cheaper radio, and was happy with it. Put the DX8 in his hands and he was stoked and love the feel.
I'm looking at getting one for him as a present for either Fathers Day or birthday.
Another one to throw into the mix is the DX7s. A few of the guys have them and they all love them. The difference is the 8 has one extra 3 toggle switch.
But all good radios. My advice get a few in your hands, and see which one you like the feel of best.
I love my DX8 though

Westy

LEGEND
DX7s does not have the Backlight.

My new DX7s that is on its way is going to be modified on day one...

I have a couple of back light kits on the way ... so will be interesting as to which will get here first.

I do not care about warrenty as it would cost nearly half the cost of unit to send it back to the States......

Tony

Staff member
Some more options that the DX8 has over the DX6i is you can run many more types of wings for airplanes, it has many more swash settings, not just 90º and 120º so you are set on anything. The screen is larger and as you know, backlit. There is a light on the spektrum logo so you know when it's transmitting a signal. If you plug in a trainer cord, this light will not light up. You can update the firmware to the latest version yourself. And lets not forget that you can adjust the speed of the servos. If you are flying planes, this is GREAT for deploying flaps. Or if you are controlling a camera, you can slow down teh movements so you dont' make your viewers sick lol.

I myself love the feel of the rubber grips, the smooth sticks, and I dont' think I could EVER go with a Tx that doesn't have 3 position switches. I like having 75% throttle in normal, then having 85% for IU1 then 100% for IU2. I love using the RT/LT to adjust the gyro gain or use it to kill the engine after a flight.

The list goes on. It's very unlikely that you will outgrow the DX8 whereas you will outgrow the DX6i in just a couple of years.

Derek

I went down the same path. It's not a regrettable path at all. I bought the DX6i first and lived it. It's easy to use and comfortable in my hands. However, I did buy the DX8 and I love it. It has very nice rubber grips on the side that the DX6i does not have. I love the 3 position switches and the gimbals are much smoother. It's just an awesome transmitter.

Top Bottom