General Can't get esc to power motor on my new trex 550

mb-1953

I hope someone can suggest what I should try, I have finished the 3gx set up and believe I am ready to test fly the helicopter. It came with a Castle talon 90 ESC. The problem is I can't get the esc to power the motor. I did the governor set up although I don't have one in the helicopter.

murankar

Staff member
The governor is in the esc. As for power to the motor not sure what to check. If the gyro is working then power is getting to the system. Next would be to check the motor leads on bboth the esc and the motor. The motor could be grounding out.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Tony

Staff member
First thing, move the ESC to another port on the 3GX like the elevator and check it there. Then put a servo on the throttle channel and see if you can move that servo with your throttle stick. If you can, and after you move the ESC back to the throttle channel it still doesn't work, then I'm going to call a bad ESC here.

URI, when he said he set up the governor, he was talking about on the 3GX. You have to set the endpoints in teh 3GX for it to work correctly.

Make sure you are not on throttle hold as well.

murankar

Staff member
I was thinking end points too. I need to start reading up on 3gx. I don't have one and need more knowledge on it.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

heli-maniac

The Talon will not arm if it dose not see a low enough th. point had it happen to mine after it was set up had to go in to the th setting in the tx and lower it so it would arm

mb-1953

Tony
I'm using the esc to power the 3gx, if I move it to a different port will it still power the 3gx ? Do I need to use a separate battery for the 3gx? I just don't want to cause any damage.

mb-1953

Tony,
I did as you suggested and the esc still did nothing but the servo moved in the throttle port. When I plug the battery in the esc beeps as it counts the cells of the battery, is there a way to trouble shoot it? I bought the helicopter on line and I know they will give me a hard time about returning a new esc that came defective.
thanks again

Graham Lawrie

Have you set the throttle low and high points?

You need to tell the 3gx minimum and maximum throttle settings. It is at the end of the set up you have to hold both buttons down and have all lights on 3gx lit?

Tony

Staff member
Okay, one last thing. Make sure you have a normal throttle curve (linear) for this. Turn your Tx on and put it at full throttle. Then plug the helicopter in. The ESC should beep a couple times which is indication to lower the stick all the way. This should calibrate the ESC.

If that doesn't work, then put your throttle trim all the way down and try it again. I think Castle needs it all the way down.

Top Bottom