Projects Canadair Ct114 Tutor

I'm building from scratch, a 1/8 stand off scale Canadair Tutor. This is the trainer the Canadian Airforce
used from 1962 to 2000. It is still in use with our Snow Birds aerobatic team. It's built using one inch
pink rigid foam insulation. Wing span 55", length 48", height to top of horizontal stabalizer 13 7/8".
Controls are, throttle, aileron, flaps, elevator, rudder, landing lights, electric retracts and sequencing gear doors.
Power is a 70mm edf 4s producing 3 3/4 lb of thrust.
I started in December 2017. So, 19 months to date and I have it to a dry fit and on it's wheels.
The last pic is the colour scheme.
Hopefully paint September 2019.

Don
IMG_1015.JPG IMG_1017.JPG IMG_1023.JPG IMG_1024.JPG 1102229-large.jpg IMG_1015.JPG IMG_1017.JPG IMG_1023.JPG IMG_1024.JPG 1102229-large.jpg

Tony

Staff member
That is an awesome little project you have going there! One question, where is the air intake duct(s) for the EDF? I see them, I think, right in front of the wings on the real plane (could just be paint that looks like a danger decal) so not sure if I'm just overlooking it. I do see a hole in the under side towards the front, but that looks to be the front retract hole. Definitely more pictures and progression posts needed. Thanks for sharing!

Delininja

I agree. Beautiful plane and build but where are the intakes? Im really impressed by your build quality! it is going to be awesome! well, more than it already is. sweet plane.

Delininja

Think I can see a little slot on the tail belly. Is that where you get your air? Thanks for showing it off. it is cool.

Thanks for the positive comments. The air intakes are a work in progress. I'm on my third set of blanks. I think I've got it this time. The intakes are mounted to the fuselage
when finished. The front of the intake will be opened up for air to come in and an opening will be in the fuse back of that hole so that air enters the fuselage. the opening
will be 1 3/4 inches tall by 1" wide. This gives me 3.14 suare inches. But, always a but, my fan swept area is 5 3/4 square inches. I may have to put a cheater hole in the bottom of the fuselage in front of the wing. I'm lucky in that there is a Tutor in the museum at Canadian Forces Base Borden. I've been given access to it for pictures
as long as I don't climb on it. As an example. I needed dimensions of the horizontal stabalizer. It's nine feet in the air. One of the custodians got a ladder, and there I was.
Nine feet in the air taking measurements.
If there is intrest, I can start at the beginning and go through the build.
For now here are some pics of the air intake.
Don

IMG_0818.JPG IMG_0819.JPG IMG_1028.JPG IMG_1029.JPG

Tony

Staff member
Okay, so that is what I saw right at the root of the wing on the leading edge. You are already thinking what I'm thinking in that you are more than likely going to need a cheater scoop under teh plane to bring in just a bit more air. I'm thinking if you only run scale scoops on the sides, it's going to produce negative pressure in front of the motor which is never a good thing. Opening up the under side might be the best option.

So this just popped into my head. It's not scale, but would produce a scale look when cruising around. Put a trap door on the under side to work as a scoop when you are at 75% and above. Use a mix to connect that scoop to the throttle. If you are below 75%, it will stay up. If you go full throttle, it will drop it down for more air in. Just something that popped into my head lol. But it would keep it scale looking.

And if you want to make a thread from teh beginning, we would sure love to see it! And that is awesome that they gave you access to the actual plane!

Top Bottom