Chargers Can You Spot The Problem?

Tony

Staff member
So I had a moment of brilliance (happens once in a while, usually doesn't end well lmao) and decided to give something a try. As I was doing a "stress test" to verify what I was thinking was actually going to work, I noticed the readings on the charger. Can you spot the problem? If so, wrap it in spoiler tags so that it doesn't immediately give it away to those that are guessing. You can insert the spoiler tag by clicking the button that is 6 from the right side to the right of the video button. Just click it and it will drop down a menu where you can select the spoiler.

IMG_0798.JPG

Here is what the individual cells looked like.
IMG_0799.JPG
Lets see who notices the MASSIVE IR of this pack hahaha.

Smoggie

Average cell coltage is 4.5V:eek:.. Almost readty to go 'pop' I'd say

Admiral

All very strange the individual voltages add up to 12.099V not 13.58V as displayed and I've never seen IR so consistent across 3 cells

Tony

Staff member
Just to update this for those that didn't see the issue, the overall pack voltage is WAY OFF! It is showing a lot higher than it actually is which is the main downfall of this otherwise fantastic little charger. The individual cells are reading really close to perfect so I know it is charging properly. Just thought this would be something fun to post up and get you all thinking.

Smoggie

Tony,
What can cause the charger to read higher than the combined cell voltage is a bad connection or bad solder joint in the battery or charger wiring and connectors. This means you get a voltage drop between the charger and the battery resulting in the charger reporting a higher voltage than what is measured at the battery balance connector.

If the voltage error is greater when charging at higher amps then most likely that's what the problem is. The very high IR measurement might back up this explanation. With a voltage drop as big as you are recording then you should be able to feel the wires or connectors getting hot local to where the problem is.

Tony

Staff member
This is actually a software issue. All of the soldered connections are good, it's just the way they programmed this charger. I have heard of a few cases where the charger did this. But, it's not a voltage sag, it's a voltage increase. The balance ports are correct, it's the overall voltage that is higher.

Top Bottom