600 Can Someone PLEASE help me with the Mixes for Throttle, pitch elevator and aileron!!

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I am reading, trying to read a bunch. I am confused! lol as usual.. Need y'all's help figuring out and understanding throttle mixes with elevator and aileron. and pitch.. I have heard some elev-->throttle and aileron-->throttle is good to have. How much ? I dont know.. What should be my throttle curve and pitch curve for this heli.. ? I am on a dx6i, so no governers..

How do i determine what is my head speed when the engine is running. I am aiming for 1850-1900rpm max.. Please let me know.. :)

Also what blades are better? Wood? fibre glass? I know CF are awesome. but for cheap. is fibre glass better than wood. I have two pairs of wood blades? are they good to start with ? too heavy?

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
Re: Can Someone PLEASE help me with the Mixes for Throttle, pitch elevator and ailero

There is an android phone app called head speed. That is what I use. Cost bout $2 and it works well. The way it works is you configure the number of blades, tell it you approximate head speed, then start the app. place it under your heli, spin it up to a hover then sit it back down and check the RPM's that it recorded. Setting up the radio is not an easy task. You also have to set up the high and low speed needles on your engine to match your climate/environment.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
That's what I am a bit intimidated about. I don't even know where that needle is , let alone setting it. Haha

I need guidance a I know some of you guys are nitro and ESP heli people... I am hoping to get guidance from you guys...

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
Re: Can Someone PLEASE help me with the Mixes for Throttle, pitch elevator and ailero

Nitro's are very much indeed a different animal but once you understand it, it's a snap, crackle, pop.

Take some close up photos of the engine and post them so I can see the brand, how many needles, and size. If yours has three needles you will have to set all three, The low range will be the low stick from low to 1/3 stick mid will be in the 2/3 range, and high will be the upper 3/3 range. Each one will have that purfect power and transition setting. Will it even start now? Have you ever had it running? If so what makes you think it needs adjusting?

Keep this in mind, "A picture paints a thousand words" and "A video paints a Picasso". In other words let us see and hear the problems you are having. A lot of engine tuning is done by ear and touch. For instance if you can't touch the back plate after hovering for about 2 minutes it's running to hot and you need to richen up the mix, It is much better to run the engine rich than lean because if you run it lean it will get hot and deteriorate fast.

Last, What brand and fuel mix are you running?

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I am Going to use 15percent fuel. Don't remember the brand. Picked it up from lhs.. The guy in this shop knows a lot about helis(charges likewise lol) and so suggested this fuel to start with and then go to 30perc..

Engine has been opened once, hope you have seen the video. What's left is fueling it up and giving it a go.. Should I try starting it without a head? I have it all setup to be started with a starter. The frame and head is almost complete.. So I can remove the head (which is incomplete and give the engine a go.. ) what do you say?

Tony

Staff member

An engine will not run without a head. That is what creates the compression, or should I say it holds the compression as the piston is coming up. It also holds the glow plug that gives the fuel it's ignition source. If you are asking about running it without the clutch assy on there, I would still say no. Under no load, these can over rev quite quickly and cause a lot of damage.

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
I thonk he's talkin bout the rotor head. Yup, take the rotor hrad off and make sure the throttle is all the way counter clockwise. Then go clockwise about two clicks on your radio. Then try to start it, watch the fuel line and see if it fills up.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!

yeah i was talking about the rotor head. There is clutch assembly all installed on it. I have everything in place minus the rotor head and the main gear.

I will try to do that tr.. and then see what i come up with .. :) and i will take pics today and a video and post it all up! :)

Tony

Staff member

I wouldn't put the blades on, but I would have the head in there for a little resistance. Make sure to take the tail blades off as well.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Yes. I haven't mounted the tail as yet. I am gonna put the head on as you said, without blades, and start it up today or tomorrow.. Gotta get the servos fitted right first..

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!

By the way you don't have to have the electrics powered on when you start it. Just make sure you throttle is all the way counter clockwise. I tie my helicopters down while I'm working on them on my bench.

Gaba, one last thing, this helicopter is not a 450, it will hurt, Mame or kill you or someone. I had a blade grip on my nexus 30 to give out and one of the rotor blades sailed over into my neighbors yard. I am really glad it did not damage me or anyone in the process. The next week I joined the AMA and my local club. Now if I want to do any flying I go to my local field. I am lucky cause my field is only about 4 miles away.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I totally understand that now tr..

I have joined a club here as you might have seen my posts, have the key to the door there. No way I am flying anything anywhere not a flying field now.. It's like 15 minutes from where I live in Arlington, so it's good. Thanks for reminding me though.. When I start this puppy, it will literally be a frame on the ground (drive way) without tail or blades .. That I will do at home.. Rev it up by hand and see how it goes.. But as soon the rest goes up on it, it will be a field heli. I am scared of its boards just looking at them let alone when they are actually going around.. Which reminds me to renew my AMA haha..

I don't know how to secure the heli on the ground though. May Be heavy weights on the skids... ?

I'll see. Will make a video though, and let yall see too. ;)

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Ohh one more thing, the muffler mounting is just with cap screws flat washer locknuts and loctite right? I am not sure if I need anything else like a lining or something where it sits on the engine, or any special thing to mount it. Manual doesn't instruct a lot in that area. Let me know! :)

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!

Mine has a exhaust gasket, locktite will be irrelevant because of the heat. You can use nylock nuts and after the engine gets warm you'll need to tighten them again.

Tony

Staff member

I have always used a silicone coupler to hook the manifold to the pipe. Not sure if you can do that with a heli though, this was on a car.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Hey guys!!!!

It's been a while since the last update and if y'all missed me all this time ;P well... I was busy flying one day and the the rest basically working on setting up the nitro birdie.

Finally got all the missing parts.. (Linkages, screws, a servo(found out one was broken :( ) . I got the engine to start when I took it to the lhs. The guy started it, revved it. After that I took it home put all servos on it, and bound it up.. Stupid servo for throttle was reversed, I thought "anticlockwise" was closed and clockwise was open. Well nope it wasn't. I tried starting it with the starter and shaft, and engine started on full throttle... So loud and fast that it started turning my starter and I broke my starter... Haha ;P

So first Noobie mistake cost me 35 bucks for a new starter.

Anywaz. I finally got it all working right. I had heard about a little mod on the mccpm to give me a better pitch range and I have now +-10 degrees travel in my blades. It is fully setup, ready to hover except for the engine .. Heeeeeheee. I need help.

I tried starting it again, but ended up turning it so much that there was and I think is too much fuel in the engine now. It darted once, but then I didn't have any load do it felt like it was high rpm. I cut the throttle, and it shut down... After that it didn't start.

I m not sure how to know how much fuel is in there. I wanted to make a video , the one tone I tried, I broke the stupid starter. So , I'll try again. Any ideas are welcome... :) I'll take pics and upload soon

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot

Take the glo plug out and drain the fuel out lol!

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!

you might have thought it would have been that obvious for me.. HAHAHAH! it wasnt! heeheehee..... I will.. that sounds like a good plan...
everything is new here in this engine for me.. so its all like man! dont wanna screw it up.

good idea though.

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!

Dude, you need to settle down and take safety first into consideration. See, I have already given you some bad information when I told you to make sure your throttle was all the way counter clockwise. You are saying that the throttle is closed all the way clockwise. So, that is opposite of Thundertiger and OS. What brand and model of motor is it? Also if you don't provide photos and/or video I can't and wont help anymore.

Good luck and be careful these helicopters will chop off body parts.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!

It is OS hyper engine... I looked in the manual of my heli and apparently it had the same engine as the recommended engine. and it had the same.. clockwise closed, and anti clock wise open throttle.

Now I didnt see that, and tommy, you just tried to help! :) You are fine! I should have looked closer, but luckily i didnt have the main gear and head assembly on. so it was just revving on itself scaring the crap out of me.. hahah.. and then i tried to pinch the fuel line and it quit, or may be it quit cause it had too much fuel going in.... whatever it is.. I am gonna make a video of it just standing there.. I have gotten the throttle servo and all servos centered and working right. That will be today... I'll upload it by the afternoon. :)

Top Bottom