Can I still fly?

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey all. :eek1: Tony mention that he's been flying his quads alot lately and he thinks he might lose his heli flying skills if he didn't switch back and fourth . :scratchchin: WELL... that got me thinking! Since I got the QX 90c I've been flying FPV all the time. So today I flew a couple of batteries with the 450DFC and the X3. I wanted to see If I forgot how to fly or at least to see if my control change some. :cool-new: I don't think the flying went bad. :emono: I came close a couple of times to crashing but my reaction time is still their Lol. Here's the 450 first. X3 next

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the X3 and :eek1: I came close to the ground, twice. Both times I got lucky.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stambo

Was it luck, or muscle memory with a bit of skill thrown in. :D
I haven't flown a heli since I discovered FPV, apart from a V911 but they don't count.
The thought of how much they cost to repair and how much damage they can do just means they sit on a shelf gathering dust.
For me, FPV just does it a whole more then flying a heli.
I have branched out in to fixed wing FPV as well though. :D

Tony

Staff member
The reason my fingers lost their touch is I have not really flown a helicopter in about two YEARS! Taking that much time off and flying in Angle mode all the time will creep up on you. Just a couple weeks won't hurt a thing though, but do keep flying helicopters.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Oh yeah Tony, I'm going to keep on flying my helis. I'm just going to make sure that I share my flight time equally. Thanks Stambo for your comment. It's makes me feel like I kinda new what I was doing :redface:

Tony

Staff member
Another thing you can do is fly the quads in Acro mode. That way they fly just like the helicopters.

Tony

Staff member
Go into the Modes menu and select a position where everything but arm is gray. With no Angle, no Horizon and no AIR mode.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Go into the Modes menu and select a position where everything but arm is gray. With no Angle, no Horizon and no AIR mode.

Thank you Tony. Will this be easier to fly in this mode? Right now I have the 90c dialed in. I can hover for about 2/3 seconds with out my fingers on the controls. I will give it a try if it's easier to fly.

Tony

Staff member
It depends on what your definition of "easier" is... If you mean more like a helicopter (marble on a sheet of glass, every input requires correction) then yes, it will be easier. But what I need to do is get back into the habit of flying without self level, and that is what you are going to get in angle and horizon mode.

Top Bottom