Projects Calling all boaters!

Dean Nicholson

Hello all!

Quick link to question - scroll to visitor posts.

Basically, I've made a boat from 2mm ply. I need to strip it back and proof it.

Hopefully I can find all my photos.

Any advice on products to use? I'm based in UK.

Many thanks,
Dean

trainrider06

Hi Dean thanks for posting up, myself I know nothing about the boat things but I believe we have a few on here that might hopefully they chime in, and welcome to RCH!

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey there Dean. One of the members "Derek" his father's into building boats like your self. He's very good too. He, with others I'm sure, can recommend the products to use. Oh yeah, welcome! :smile:

Tony

Staff member
Sorry for not getting to the post on FB. In all honesty, we don't do much over there and I'm thinking about closing the page. With that said though, we are more than happy to help with your issue.

When you say "proof", are you talking about waterproofing the hull? If so, the paint would do just that. It's not 100% for a real boat (which are mostly fiberglass now days), but it will work for models that are not in the water for days on end.

If you are not comfortable with the paint, you can sand it down and use shillac to seal the boat. Or, if you can get ALL of the paint off, you can use something like Thompsons Water Seal (here in the USA) or whatever you have over there to seal wood. But even something like Polyurethane will work quite well. Then, you can sand it with 220 grit then paint it to your color of choice.

Post up some pictures of the project, I would love to see it.

Dean Nicholson

Morning all!

Thanks for such fast hello's and responses, I feel a warm welcome here :)

I think my photos are on my old smartphone, which I'll find some the here for you all! I also found the boating threads so will either move my post to there (admin...?) or link here to a better thread, complete with photos, under the right heading :)

I'm thinking I'll take your advice, take off the paint, treat the ply and hopefully it doesn't warp anything. What's the worst that could happen? I learn the hard way anyway so... lol!

Give me the weekend to look into your suggestions and we'll touch base again soon!!

Cheers, thanks and hello,
Dean

- - - Updated - - -

Shellac as a sealer? It’s all just hype | Woodshop News

It's an interesting read this article! I'll be looking at both. I'm not an industrial guy so I think really the sway of this article against shellac is irrelevant to me. Plus, when the missus gets her nails done, they seem to last for bloody ever. So, shellac is on my list!!

Cheers again!

Top Bottom