Projects Building the Rc-Help trainer

Gerald

Hi all :wave: I am learning how to fly with my Mini Super Cub but I know that I want to move up to an aileron plane, so being on a budget I have started construction of the Rc-Help Trainer !
I am new to posting on forums, as this is my first ever post. Hope I am doing it right ?!? I have some pictures of work so far and am waiting on parts to arrive. I used foam board from DollarTree (my local store has white and black) and hot glue also purchased colored packing tape which looks pretty good! This is the 3rd design from the store and my first ever attempt to build. What do you think?View attachment 8782View attachment 8783View attachment 8784View attachment 8785View attachment 8786View attachment 8787

Tony

Staff member
Looking good to me, can't wait to see it in the air. If you have not mounted it yet, you will need to put all of your electronics in it and then mount the battery tray to figure out CoG.

Derek

I have built all three versions of the RCH Trainer and I really like this plane. Yours is looking like it's coming along very well. As long as you are careful to make sure that your sides line up squarely to the top and bottom of the fuselage, you should be in great shape. Good luck and be sure to post any questions as you go! Even more importantly...be sure to post pictures and/or video of the finished plane and be sure to post video of your flights.

Gerald

Well I got some parts and some free time to work on the trainer. I have the motor and servos and the esc. did some installing of componets. Stupid me, forgot to order connectors for the esc to motor connection!

View attachment 8964View attachment 8965View attachment 8966View attachment 8967View attachment 8968View attachment 8969

- - - Updated - - -

Some pictures not the best, cell phone camera. Tested the servos and linkage works very well, with no binding. Ready to get motor on and mounting componets inside. Hope to post video of madien flight soon..we'll see..!

Gerald

I have a question for anyone reading this, Hopefully Tony will read this or even Derek . I am ready to install my motor and I have the option of a turinigy 1000 kv or I have a 1400kv, I want to be sure that either motor is big enough. I have 2200 Mha 3 cell batteries and I have a 10/6 prop a 8/4 prop and 11/7 prop. I have 30amp esc. I think I have the right parts to make a good combo just confused on how to go forward.

Tony

Staff member
On the trainer, the 1000kv with the 10x6 should be more than enough for that plane. However, if you have a motor that you can use on teh RCH Edge 540 at a later date, get the 1400 kv. It will just be a bit faster depending on how many watts you are pulling. On a 1400kv motor, you want to pull at least 300-350 watts. Hope this helps.

Gerald

Thanks Tony I wanted to use the 1000 on this plane and hope to use the 1400 on the craigs list find I posted. I was just worried that the 1000 was under sized.
Rookie question I guess but thats how we learn!

Derek

Keep the questions coming, Gerald! We've all been there, for sure.

Can you list the specs for that motor in a post? Or give the link to that motor? I'd just like to see what you are dealing with.

Gerald

Here are the specs.
D2830-11 1000kv Brushless Motor
Specs:
Rpm/V: 1000kv
Shaft: 3.17mm
Voltage: 2S~4S (7.4v to 14.8v)
Weight: 52g
Watts: 210w
Max Current: 21A
ESC: 30A
Suggested Prop: 8x4 (4S) ~ 10x7 (2S)
Mounting Hole Bolt Circle: 16mm or 19mm

- - - Updated - - -

I am getting ever closer to finishing the build. Installed the motor, installed the bamboo wing hold down pins added the inside support for them and added gift card gussets to preserve the foam where the rods go thru the fuse. Test fit the wing. Now have to work out the placement of the electrical components and battery to get the proper CG. I would like to add landing gear. Where I fly at I have a paved take off and landing surface.
View attachment 8986View attachment 8987

Derek

That really looks good, and since you have a paved runway...there is no reason not to have landing gear.

Gerald

Ok I have completed the build.
View attachment 9041View attachment 9042View attachment 9043

But it needed something more!

View attachment 9044View attachment 9045View attachment 9046View attachment 9047View attachment 9048View attachment 9049

I hope you don't mind Tony, I printed the logo off the web site and altered the color to match.
I would like to get some vinyl's at some point.
I am ready to fly as soon as the winds die down and I can get an extra body to help me video the maiden flight.
I had a great time building the trainer and look forward to flying it!
I have an ORX t-six radio and I have to learn how to set the rates up on it yet before I fly. Any one know this radio that could give a few pointers?
This is my first legitimate RC Radio so I am a little fuzzy on rates expose and stuff. Or maybe you could just point me to a link that explains it all?

EyeStation

Great build there Gerald. The landing gear adds a lot to the looks. Be careful lifting that tail when you are near the tarmac, not much clearance for that prop. I wonder if setting a motor break on the ESC would keep the prop out of dangers way?
Can't wait for the video. Should be a good show.

Tony

Staff member
I don't mind at all Gerald! That plane looks great. Once I get back into the swing of things, I will have some vinyl decals in stock. As of right now though, life is getting in the way. Can't wait to see this thing in the air!

Gerald

I am a little concerned about the prop clearance, did not realize how close it was until it was all assembled. I thought I allowed enough room but miss caculated.

Tony

Staff member
It does look a little close. If those landing gears are aluminum, you can bend them down and gain some ground clearance. If not, you can always keep the same pitch but go down an inch on the length.

Jörg Schulz

Hi Gerald , Very nice Scratchbuild. Good Work !!
I have the same motor like you, did you use a 9x5 prop on this Motor ?
I am still waiting for my Depron so i can start, can´t wait .. :)
We would like to see the maiden !!

Gerald

I have a 10x6 on in the picture but I ordered a 9x6 due to ground clearance. Just waiting for a good day to fly it when I can have a camera person along!
The weather has not been very good but typical for the north east of USA!

Gerald

UPDATE: I flew it this morning successfully had it in the air for 10 min. and landed it soft as a feather! will post more later!

Top Bottom