700 Building the Agile 7.2

stokke

New project!

Been gone for some time, wonder why? Read it here.

Will be building this baby the coming week:

P1030276.JPG

Parts are still coming in, but I'm hoping the last parts will be here on monday.

Excited! :D

Lee

Awww you haven't
I hate you now :D
Thats what I want to get next.
First you get the Goblin before me, and now the Agile too.
Not fair LOL :D

Seriously, I really want to know everything about this one.
I thought it would be a winning machine from the first time I saw it.

stokke

nice. :) I'm waiting for the Agile 3.6

By the looks of it, the 3.6 might just be able to compete with the Warp ;)

Awww you haven't
I hate you now :D
Thats what I want to get next.
First you get the Goblin before me, and now the Agile too.
Not fair LOL :D

Seriously, I really want to know everything about this one.
I thought it would be a winning machine from the first time I saw it.

You caught me, my mission in life is to get everything cool before you do Lee :D :D :D

The list was short, it stood between an Align 800 PRO DFC or this model. The Avant Mostro was considered shortly, but the high price compared with little knowledge of the brand took it out of the equation. I'm also very curious about the upcoming Gaui NX7 - but release looks far away and I wanted my new model NOW! The 800 fell out of the equation after a talk with the other Agile-owner in my club - I was sold :D

You'll get the standard "Marius build log" - many many pictures!! ;)

MAN SHE SURE IS PRETTY!!!!!! can't to see her flying

Me too buddy, me too!!!! :D

_______

Build commencing!

I will be re-using the cyclic servos and FBL-gyro from the Goblin 630 I recently sold. I got myself a Scorpion motor and a new and bigger Castle ESC for use on this build. I got the kit, motor and ESC from Hawk-RC - which I can strongly recommend ordering from! Super fast shipping :D

P1030280.JPG

In addition to the kit, motor and ESC, I ordered some spare parts.

P1030284.JPG

Spares

P1030285.JPG

I also got the 18T pinion (19T is stock) to achieve the optimal and desired head speed.

P1030286.JPG

Also ordered some 10AWG wire, 4mm bullets and a bunch of EC5's for the batteries. But after looking at the large leads sticking out of the ESC, it seems 4mm bullets just won't cut it. So 8AWG leads and 5.5mm bullets are on their way.

P1030287.JPG

Scorpion HK4525 Ultimate 520 KV 4500W motor.
Castle Phoenix Edge 160 HV ESC.

I considered a Kontronik Pyro motor, but those things cost a damn fortune! I also really wanted to try out a 500KV motor this time, but based on some recommendations I ended up with this particular Scorpion motor which happens to be 520KV (still 40KV less than the motor I had on the Gobby).

P1030288.JPG

I got more pics, but it has to wait until tomorrow - 1:00 AM here now, and work tomorrow :(

Last edited:

stokke

Packaging

P1030289.JPG

P1030290.JPG

I had the supplier swap the stock canopy for this pink one, as the stock one is a bit too neutral in the colors (hard to spot). But, I won't be using this one - I have a Canomod canopy on order :D

P1030291.JPG

Same neat packaging as seen on the Goblins.

P1030292.JPG

P1030293.JPG

P1030294.JPG

What stood out to me the most at first glance, is the matte carbon (instead of glossy as seen on most other models). Nice touch!

P1030295.JPG

2mm thick carbon as standard - not bad ;)

P1030297.JPG

Time for some edge sanding.

P1030298.JPG

All done.

P1030299.JPG

There is no paper manual, that has to be downloaded off of KDS's website - which poses no problem (for me at least). I have the manual on my iPad as I'm building. The bags and parts are not labeled very well, so I think a beginner might struggle with this build (but who the h**l buys a 700 as their first kit helicopter anyways). So having some experience assembling kits does not hurt at all.

P1030300.JPG

Battery compartment.

P1030301.JPG

P1030302.JPG

These "spacers" are supposed to protrude half way through the plate. See the holes?

P1030303.JPG

The holes are machined/drilled a bit too tight, so I had to widen them with some sandpaper.

P1030304.JPG

Snug fit.

P1030305.JPG

Tightening a spacer on the opposite side.

P1030306.JPG

P1030307.JPG

P1030308.JPG

Battery mount done!

P1030309.JPG

______

Some spare RJX main blades and my new tail servo also arrived! Even though I will be using the old Savöx servos off of the Goblin, I will not be re-using the Savöx tail servo - as it never felt quite right. Hard to explain... Ironically, the new servo is also made by Savöx; an Align BL850H. Ridiculously fast and strong brushless servo.

Oh, and I also bought a new soldering iron! 100W.

P1030311.JPG

Lee

Pink Canopy?? Are you trying to tells us something Marius LOL :D
If you decide to change those servos, the BK ones I have on my Goblin are insanely fast.
For $90 a servo they are a bargain.
Kevin from NEXRC here on the forum has the RJX versions for I think $89, plus he's always got some sort of discount going :)

stokke

Pink Canopy?? Are you trying to tells us something Marius LOL :D
If you decide to change those servos, the BK ones I have on my Goblin are insanely fast.
For $90 a servo they are a bargain.
Kevin from NEXRC here on the forum has the RJX versions for I think $89, plus he's always got some sort of discount going :)

Oooh bahave! *hand gesture*

I considered getting the BK's, but as the Gobby-buyer couldn't pay the price for the servos, I kept them. The Savöx 2271SG which came off of the Gobby are actually stronger than the BK's at 2S lipo and only slightly slower, so they'll do just fine ;)

- - - Updated - - -

looking good mate.

Thanks Dan!

stokke

So I got the 8 AWG leads and 5.5mm bullets i ordered. I'm not sure how this is going to pan out, put I do got the bullets and leads department covered :D
8 AWG, that's some serious wire gauge...

P1030313.JPG

Mounting rudder servo.

P1030315.JPG

Love the metal casing on this thing. It's also much smoother and silent than the Savöx rudder I had on the Gob.

P1030316.JPG

I got a bit confused about the balls and nuts for the servos as the instructions do refer to them with numbers, but the numbers do not correspond with anything in the kit - but they are included with the kit? LOL

P1030318.JPG

P1030319.JPG

Rudder servo mounted.

P1030320.JPG

P1030321.JPG

Got out the old Savöx cyclic servos.

P1030322.JPG

The instructions calls for 20mm distance from servo center to ball, I'll have to overshoot a tad - I'm sure it won't matter.

P1030323.JPG

Mounting the first cyclic servo (I believe this will be the elevator servo).

P1030324.JPG

P1030325.JPG

P1030326.JPG

So far so good.

P1030327.JPG

Part of the drivetrain. Bearings already mounted.

P1030329.JPG

P1030330.JPG

ESC mount I believe.

P1030331.JPG

P1030332.JPG

Gyro mount?

P1030333.JPG

P1030334.JPG

Motor mount assembly. As mentioned previously, I will not be using the stock 19T pinion - I will be using a 18T instead.

P1030335.JPG

P1030336.JPG

Beeeeef!

P1030337.JPG

The bolts included with the motor were too long and I almost threaded them down into the motor windings! Luckily I felt something was wrong while screwing them into place. Can you see the bolt sticking out inside there?

P1030343.JPG

I'll be taking my trusty Dremel for a spin later today.

Dirk

Very nice heli Marius. I love the looks of the Agile. (and the pink canopy too!! :poke:)

Please let me know how you find the quality of the screws. On my KDS Innova 550 I found that the screws and bolts rust very quickly.

Keep the photos coming. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Damnit!! That's where my 8 gauge welder cables went to!! Seriously thick cables Marius!

Last edited:

stokke

Very nice heli Marius. I love the looks of the Agile. (and the pink canopy too!! :poke:)

Please let me know how you find the quality of the screws. On my KDS Innova 550 I found that the screws and bolts rust very quickly.

Keep the photos coming. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Damnit!! That's where my 8 gauge welder cables went to!! Seriously thick cables Marius!

Thanks man! I sure hope these bolts don't rust, as I fly through snow and rain all year long! Time will show.

Yeah, these 8AWG lead are ridiculously thick! But I might end up not needing them after all.

Lee

With my Edge ESC, I had enough wire that I could cut down to the right length to reach my batteries easily, then take one of the cut off pieces to link the two EC5 + to -.

stokke

With my Edge ESC, I had enough wire that I could cut down to the right length to reach my batteries easily, then take one of the cut off pieces to link the two EC5 + to -.

Well, I have 100 cm's worth of thick cable, so I gotta put it to some good use if see the oportunity LOL :D Guess it'll be on the Y-piece coming off of the ESC.

Chopped down the motor bolts! (they are now 6mm long)

P1030349.JPG

Good as gold - literally ;)

P1030350.JPG

The engineering on this thing is well thought out. Notice the bottom part of the shaft; convex (or whatever)

P1030351.JPG

Now notice the bottom part of the pinion; concave (or whatever). This secures the pinion in a perfect fit. Now, I do not know if Agile thought about this first, but it's the first time I'm seeing it and I like it!

P1030352.JPG

Like a glove!

P1030353.JPG

The shaft could have been a few mm's longer... But this poses no problem, as the Agile has counter bearing on top as standard! Pretty clever.

P1030354.JPG

P1030355.JPG

Mounting battery plate and lower part of drivetrain to the right frame side.

P1030356.JPG

P1030357.JPG

P1030358.JPG

Mounting gyro plate and ESC plate.

P1030360.JPG

P1030361.JPG

P1030362.JPG

Bottom plates. These have no bolts, they have slot inserts and are then clamped between the right and left frame.

P1030363.JPG

P1030364.JPG

Assembling belt gear and landing skid mounts.

P1030365.JPG

P1030366.JPG

This was sort of disappointing. Usually there is machined a groove for the nut to seat in, but the groove on this part was too shallow to seat the nut properly. This meant I had to hold the nut with some pliers while threading the bolt.

P1030367.JPG

P1030368.JPG

When tightening the bolt only with my standard hex driver I was not able to apply enough torque, resulting in sideways slop on the shaft. I had to get out a standard allen driver (I think it's called) to apply enough force. This secured the gear properly on the shaft. (Though I have a tiny tiny concern in the back of my head that the bolt might snap under this load, but I'm taking my chances).

P1030369.JPG

P1030370.JPG

P1030372.JPG

P1030373.JPG

wolfman76

Man that is a monstrous looking drive gear that lovely lady is starting to look really gorgeous. ... keep the photos coming

stokke

Finishing the main frame assembly.

P1030376.JPG

P1030377.JPG

P1030378.JPG

The manual instructs to mount regular bolts on the first part of the frame (right frame side), I double checked this. But on the second part (left frame side), I'm instructed to mount a canopy stand-off where on the opposite side (right frame side) there is mounted a regular bolt. This didn't make much sense as canopy mounts usually are mounted on exactly opposite sides of each other, which is true on this build as well (checked further ahead in the manual). So I had the to remove the bolt I previously were instructed to mount from the right side and set a canopy mount in its stead. This left me with two spare bolts...?

P1030379.JPG

Where the canopy mount is to be placed.

P1030380.JPG

On the opposite side. What? :D

P1030381.JPG

Canopy mounts in place.

P1030382.JPG

Assembling the head.

P1030383.JPG

I can choose between two different thicknesses for spacing out the blade grips (how firm the head is to be set up). I'll be going with the 0.5mm ones.

P1030384.JPG

The dampers has a wrong and correct way to be installed.

P1030385.JPG

See the small "shoulder"? That is supposed to point outwards from the head.

P1030386.JPG

P1030387.JPG

P1030397.JPG

No groove machine for the nut here either. Disappointing.

P1030398.JPG

P1030399.JPG

The head is not quite as beefy as on the Goblin, nor is the drivers as beefy - in fact I think the drivers look a bit flimsy to be honest, but I'm sure it'll be fine.

__

I was recommended to put the motor belt into a bag filled with silicone grease. I'm guessing this is to soften the belt, which will help get the best tension when mounting it into the drivetrain - I will be leaving it in the bag over night.

P1030400.JPG

P1030401.JPG

Drivetrain.

P1030403.JPG

P1030404.JPG

Last edited:

stokke

So I'm about to mount the two front cyclic servos when I notice there are parts missing in my kit! Well, turns out I'm using an old manual and the "servo washers" are no longer included.

P1030405.JPG

P1030406.JPG

Seeing I have no washers nor servo mounts available, I was forced to stop the build for one day. Yesterday though, I was fortunate enough to get to borrow some alu mounts from a fellow Agile owner :D While talking about our helis he could inform me that him and I are most likely the only Agile 7.2 owners in Norway :D How bout that?

P1030407.JPG

Anyways, I was able to mount the servos.

P1030408.JPG

P1030409.JPG

The servos were quite the loose fit, so I opted to shove them upwards to align them with the frame before tightening into place. I think I'll be revisiting these before maiden, as I'm not quite comfortable with the current solution (afraid the forces might push the servos around (even though I tightened them gooood)).

P1030410.JPG

I also have some concerns about the height alignment in relation to the elevator servo which is mounted to the frame, opposed to the other cyclics which are mounted a top the drivetrain. This might cause a misalignment which again will give me problems at the swash. I'll deal with all this when I get to the head setup.

P1030411.JPG

Took the drive belt out of its bag, wiped off most of the silicone grease and set it into place.

P1030412.JPG

Before tightening the drivetrain into place, I loosened the lower bearing plate and also installed the main shaft. This to make sure there are no misalignment between the two plates.

P1030413.JPG

P1030414.JPG

Drivetrain mounted and awaiting motor.

P1030415.JPG

P1030416.JPG

Compared to the Goblin solution for tightening the drive belt, I like this one much better! There are no springs and nuts holding the motor in place - just four simple bolts. I will only set the bolts in place for now, as I will be removing the motor again later.

P1030417.JPG

Bad picture, but can you see the sliding counter bearing under the pinion? Pretty clever :D

P1030418.JPG

Motor in place, awaiting belt and ESC connection - which I'm going to to later on in the build.

P1030419.JPG

Looking good so far.

P1030420.JPG

Lee

Looks good Marius.
The only thing i'm worried about, is the battery placement.
They will stick out slightly from the frame right?
So in a crash, if they move, the side frames have the possibility to split the batteries in two?

murankar

Staff member
That is one nice looking kit. I don't think the packs will stick out. I think i saw a 7.2 at the fun fly. I didn't get any pics so i cant go back and look.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

stokke

Looks good Marius.
The only thing i'm worried about, is the battery placement.
They will stick out slightly from the frame right?
So in a crash, if they move, the side frames have the possibility to split the batteries in two?

Yes, the batteries will stick out of the frame, but I'm not worrying about it. The same guy I talked about previously smacked his Agile HARD earlier this year and the damages were minor compared to the severity of the crash. Check out his video:

Watch from 3:00 if you want to skip right to the crash.

The batteries used then are still in use today as far as I know :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom