Motors Building an Electric Motorcycle

Good motor or bad motor for Motorcycle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JAlex96

Hey I know this forum is for the RC guys but since both the vehicles are electric they have similarities that can be drawn from one another.

So i posted this on an EV forum but haven't got a reply so I was thinking of just pasting it here.
Hello all,
I am making an electric motorcycle and I have rounded up the batteries that I need to power my motor. I would appreciate any more experienced people on this forum to maybe give me advice, tell me if im going wrong (if i may misunderstood the battery's capabilities) before I buy all my components. I'm using 30 single cell Lipo batteries, 24 in series and 30 of them in parallel in packs of 6. They are 3.7V nominally and peak at 4.2V. They have a capacity of 6000mah/per cell and a draw rate of 35C. From what I know (and im not an expert) these are some pretty badass high density Lipos. I have a BLDC motor of a range of 0-96V, nominal 48V and can pump out 125Amps nominally and peak at 600Amps. I think I can get this motor to do Regen (correct me if Im wrong) but as of now I don't really know how to get that going (but i have some idea).

Mars Brushless Motor II

^^The motor I'm going to probably buy, I'm thinking it might be a bit over kill but its kind of future proofed, and i can use it again for more powerful applications.

Let me know what you guys think, Am i crazy? Have I gone horribly wrong and i have no clue what im doing and should just run far away from building my own EV cus im inexperienced.

Thanks

Tony

Staff member
First off, welcome to RCH! You are right, we are primarily Radio Controlled, but I love projects like this.

The first thing that I have to ask is, what ESC are you going to use to control this motor? This is a 3 phase motor and requites a 3 phase ESC to control it. That motor is talking 30kw (30,000 watts) which is a massive motor compared to what we normally use here.

The next thing, I'm not sure how you have your batteries wired. You said you had 30 cells, but then you say you did 24 in series, but then you say 24 in parallel. Can you elaborate on how you have your batteries, what your total voltage is and what your total mah is?

JAlex96

Thanks for the reply,

Well the battery pack (that has yet to be made) has more cells connected in parallel than in series. I only connect the positives and negatives instead of connecting positives to negatives (series) for 6 cells. The rest are connected in series and in parallel. Making 24 cells in series and parallel giving me a voltage of 88.8V and the other 6 connected in parallel giving me an amp capacity of 180A in total (30cells).

At least that's how I think it goes, and I have not assembled the battery pack yet either and I wouldn't say I'm very proficient in making battery packs lol.

Also about the ESC I am not sure yet. It would have to be one that can handle 150A

Tony

Staff member
That is surely a lot of voltage you are going to be dealing with. Just be careful. One wrong move and bad things start to happen. Ask me how I know lmao.

JAlex96

Haha yeah I'm doing as much research as possible reading and watching at least 4 hours a day on this stuff.

And how? lol

About the ESC's though, I just started looking in to them so im pretty new on the topic and see that some of them only operate 6 cells at a time, can I make some type of connector off of the ESC to control 6 packs at a time or no? Or do i have it completely wrong i really dont know how im gonna control 6 battery packs of 6 cells to the motor

Tony

Staff member
You may want to lower your voltage, otherwise you are looking at about a grand (from what I have found) for an ESC. I don't think you can do what you posted above, at least I have never heard of anyone doing so. I don't see how it would be done.

Top Bottom