Trucks Bsd racing 1/8 nitro

sayan

Hi folks, I got my BSD truck used, with worn clutch.
I changed it with a kit from aliexpress.com, this kit: 1 Set Clutch bell 14T Shoes & Spring Flywheel with Ball Bearings 5x10x4 mm for Nitro Powered Car Engine parts VX SH 18CXP-in Parts & Accessories from Toys & Hobbies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
When i put this on my engine (SH .18), I could not get it to mesh with the spur gear.
There is no parts store close to where I live, and since I wanted to try my car, I modified my engine mount holes to get it to fit.
I still managed to strip my spur gear...
I would like to get some reccomendation and/or tips about clutch kits / spur gears for this car.
Metal upgrade or not? What do you think?
Also, what gear ratio do you like?
This time I want to get it right!

Brgds
Jan

Tony

Staff member
When you set the mesh on the spur, did you get it as tight as possible and still have a little gap all the way around? I have a video on setting gear mesh, it takes place on a helicopter, but the same principal applies with a nitro car/truck.

How To Set Proper Gear Mesh - YouTube

sayan

When you set the mesh on the spur, did you get it as tight as possible and still have a little gap all the way around? I have a video on setting gear mesh, it takes place on a helicopter, but the same principal applies with a nitro car/truck.

How To Set Proper Gear Mesh - YouTube

No, I did not. That's why my spur gear is finished.. :(
The new clutch bell gear was bigger than the old one, so I tried to modify the holes for the engine mount. But I did not have room to make it right, and I was in a hurry to try it, hehe.
I went to the nearest parts shop yesterday, got some good advice, and some bad.
Good advice: Stick with plastic gear, if something goes wrong, it will be the plastic gear and not something more vital. Sounds logical to me, so I will follow that advice.
Bad advice: Try the old clutch bell on the new shoes. Well, I can get it on, but it's not spinning freely. So I will get the original shoes.
I also got 2 new spur gears for BSD, that did not fit. They told me that they don't have BSD part anymore, but found some spur gears I got cheap.
I had the car with me, they looked at it, but did not messure, or even take off the spur gear to compare.
So, I'm right where I started, except i got some screws that I needed.

I'm now trying to get original clutch shoes, and the right plastic spur gear.

Looks like there will be another car this week too, someone near by have a 1/8 buggy for sale for 80$.

Thanks for your reply, your video confirmed my theory about how to mesh the gears. I only wish I didn't rush things...

Brgds,
Jan

Tony

Staff member
It's all good, we all rush things once in a while. Live and learn.

If that 1/8th scale runs and drives, that is a smoking deal! If it's a name brand like Mugen without electronics, it's a smoking deal, but a bit overkill for backyard bashing. Mugens are made to race and at one time, they were the best you could get.

Hope you get the BSD fixed soon!

Top Bottom