Spektrum broke the antenna wire while taking apart my DX8 G2

pstelzer

I'm that guy that didn't listen when taking the back off my DX8 G2. I was careless, so I broke the wire going to the antenna on the rear cover despite the warnings. Now when I use my DX8, my helicopter falls from the sky at a certain distance due to loss of signal.

Here is a picture of the broken wire.

Here is a close-up of where I think the wire broke, on the printed circuit side.

Anyone have any advice on how to fix? Can I just splice the two ends of the wire together?

Last edited by a moderator:

Geena

Staff member
Your photos are not clickable, so we can`t see them. If the wire that was broken, is a shielded wire, you won`t be able to splice it very easily. You may be ahead of the game, to send it to Horizon Hobby to be repaired. Chances are, they would repair it for free, and you would just have to pay the shipping. Horizon is pretty good about things like that. You will grounded until you get it back, but signal loss is not something to gamble with. Especially with helicopters.

Tony

Staff member
I agree. These antennas are 'tuned' to a very specific frequency. If you try to solder them back together, it will change this tune and bad things can happen. Sending to Horizon is the best option.

Geena and Tony are absolutely correct!
If you dont have an advanced understanding of SWR,( standing wave ratio), dont even attempt it.
You will create more problems for yourself.
Best regards, Robert

Top Bottom