Broke auto ?

cml001

Hey Tony, I'm not on the broke auto forum.. But I gotta quick ? for ya. As you know I have parked the '91 trooper as I have purchased a tundra. I moved the trooper a couple of weeks ago for yard work etc. and then parked it back in its place of rest if u will. Couple days later I noticed a cap look'n thing on the ground but had no clue where it came from or from what. The trooper has been a cooling mess for the last year.. Anyhow... It's a freeze plug. So I now know why & where water pours. It's a v6... Same as the Chevy s-10 of '91.. How do I replace this thing? Bang a new in? Does it have to be press fit?.. Please advise. Thanks

Last edited:

gaurdian

you can ask your part's store for a rubber freeze plug and just push it in with a little lube on the rubber plug and tighten it down great fix only last about 3 year's though...

- - - Updated - - -

and for a new soft plug there really easy to put in get a socket that is the same size and the inside of the soft plug and tap it in . well seal the block as your tapping in the soft plug in I'll find a youtube how to do that and post it for you,, very easy to do......but on a second note if a soft plug came out there is only 2 reason's freeze plug's do this and old soft plug? or cold weather and saved you block from cracking easy fix but....there is a reason that soft plug came out...and that is only be 3 thing's...

Tony

Staff member
I HIGHLY suggest against the rubber ones. Just like all rubber, it will get hard and leak again. However, if you need to fix the leak quickly, this is a good option. Your local auto parts store should have an install tool for freeze plugs, which yes, are press fit. Make sure to clean teh area on the block where it's going to go with some 400 grit so that there is no rust.

cml001

Cool, I just don't wanna let her go!.. Love that truck.. Trusty trooper.. Even tho she ain't so trusty anymore. I believe this occurred durring our ice storm a couple months back.. Just now see' not to as it's not my everyday vehic anymore. Location is the problem.. Just under the exhaust mani.. May have to pull the exhaust to get to it.. I can handle it tho.. Just need a free afternoon... Thanks guys!

Tony

Staff member
If it was during a freezing time, then it more than likely saved your engine block! That is what they are there for! If your water did in fact freeze, that $2 part just saved a $1500 engine block. Now, replace it and get her back on the road!!!

Top Bottom