Trucks Breaking in my new T-Maxx 3.3

bigone5500

I have ran a tank through it so far. I have been using my Fluke infrared thermometer to check temps at the glow plug. This is correct right? What should the optimal temp be? If too high, I should richen it?

Tony

Staff member
You want to run that thing FAT AS HELL on the first two tanks. As they said, don't touch the needles, leave them at factory. That should be 2.75 on the top, and flush if not a little proud on the bottom. 220º is the max I would run that engine at, but if you hit that during break in, you are going to destroy the engine within a couple gallons max. No higher than 170 I would say during break in. It will be pouring fuel out of the exhaust and this is a good thing.

Tony

Staff member
The first couple of tanks, if I remember right from Traxxas, you just putt around at less than half throttle. I used to idle all of my engines for a tank or two with the wheels off the ground, just barely running, and I still do that on nitro cars. But they want you to do it another way. If you follow their way, it has a warranty.

bigone5500

The high speed is open 4 turns and the low speed is just a tad out of the flush point. This is from the factory.

Tony

Staff member
I guess they changed them over the years lol. Have not played with a new one. Couldn't remember the settings. As for the low needle, as long as it is unscrewed from flush, you are fine.

bigone5500

A couple of the little pads came out. One is still there but the other two are gone. Well one of them is partially there.

Tony

Staff member
Ah, so it just spit out a pad. Worth a shot to see if they will cover it, but somehow I doubt it.

bigone5500

Cheap as they are I may just buy one to get it going. I don't want to wait weeks for a part.

Meanwhile, I could try a warranty claim.

bigone5500

The parts are on the way. Should be here Friday. @Tony , you had a video somewhere about rebuilding this part didn't you? Can you post a link to it?

Thanks.

Top Bottom