Brain fart orientations

trainrider06

am I weird? Going senile? Or just heli stupid?
I will have daze of just being almost completely disorientated flying my helis,
Even on the sim, it's like I can't do anything right....
Really peeves me off!

Tony

Staff member
This is normal when you are just starting out. Just try to concentrate a little harder when flying, and it should pass.

trainrider06

Lol I've been flying over a year now....you'd think it woulda sunk in by now!
I'm pretty comfortable flying around in all orientations, on the sim I can do a lot more of course, inverted, tic tocks, land on most anything I want in any direction even fly under the tents and things on the sim....but even then I get jacked up every once in a while as I do flying....it's weird....I will usually just quit flying till I feel like I can again lol....

trainrider06

Oh Lawd! I'd better start stocking a huge cashe of parts! Lol
I guess this is why I was the aircraft mechanic instead of the pilot in the service, because the mechanical aspect of it is mostly easy to grasp....:)

Last edited:

Lee

Even now, after 4 years flying, I have those days.
I just pack up and wait for a better day :)

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Even now, after 4 years flying, I have those days.
I just pack up and wait for a better day :)

I agree with Lee. If you don't feel it don't fly it. So far every time that i second guess my self, i always end up in a crash of some sort. Give your self Plenty of time to gather your thoughts and bearing by just walking away to fly another day!

trainrider06

Yeah I will do that also, just pack it in, but its such a bummer though especially when I have been grounded due to time or weather and not been able to fly in a while.
I guess that's what makes this such a great hobby to me some of the challenges that present themselves!
:)

vimy

Oh Lawd! I'd better start stocking a huge cashe of parts! Lol
I guess this is why I was the aircraft mechanic instead of the pilot in the service, because the mechanical aspect of it is mostly easy to grasp....:)

Pilots of full sized aircraft say it's easier to fly them from the cockpit than it is to fly RC models from the ground. I've read that numerous times. So, no, it is not that your skills aren't up to scratch. You probably could have been a pilot anyway.

Practice on a cheap toy RC car if it is a [left-right] / [going away-coming toward] problem. That might help and it's got to be more interesting than a flight sim.

Have you had your eye sight checked, and I'm not being sarcastic TR06. I have to wear prescription lenses otherwise I can't see a thing.

Admiral

Hi Rodney, don't panic about the sim with the lack of depth perception it is very easy to loose orientation, but like you I sometimes have the same issues in the field, going to yellow canopies has helped me and on the days that I'm still having problems I just either pack up or practice in close until my confidence comes back. Mine is probably caused by a combination of age & eyesight and occurs mainly on days that I'm feeling a bit tired, just another challenge for this challenging hobby.

Stambo

Flying FPV makes orientation issues a thing of the past.
Though it also brings with it a new set of challenges. :)

trainrider06

Pilots of full sized aircraft say it's easier to fly them from the cockpit than it is to fly RC models from the ground. I've read that numerous times. So, no, it is not that your skills aren't up to scratch. You probably could have been a pilot anyway.

Practice on a cheap toy RC car if it is a [left-right] / [going away-coming toward] problem. That might help and it's got to be more interesting than a flight sim.

Have you had your eye sight checked, and I'm not being sarcastic TR06. I have to wear prescription lenses otherwise I can't see a thing.

I know part of my problem sometimes is I start thinking....normally flying or on sim if I am autopilot mode in my brain I don't have an issue, but once in a while I think, then I get into trouble! But the thinking comes when I get confused on site of the heli and its orientation....

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Rodney, don't panic about the sim with the lack of depth perception it is very easy to loose orientation, but like you I sometimes have the same issues in the field, going to yellow canopies has helped me and on the days that I'm still having problems I just either pack up or practice in close until my confidence comes back. Mine is probably caused by a combination of age & eyesight and occurs mainly on days that I'm feeling a bit tired, just another challenge for this challenging hobby.

I can agree right there Keith! Mainly I think its a confidence thing with me, I am not confident enough in my flying, start thinking instead of just using muscle memory.....hmm wonder if there is a R/C heli shrink available...LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Flying FPV makes orientation issues a thing of the past.
Though it also brings with it a new set of challenges. :)

Yeah I can fly the wings off of anything first person view! I used to have this game on my PC called Janes U.S.A.F and I could fly the crap outta any of those planes on there. That was the coolest game!

Top Bottom