Border Collies and helis dont mix

Smoggie

So the field i fly at is a public area. Normally this isnt a problem, even dogs arent usually a problem, but there is one exception.. Border Collies. They have the inbred instinct to round things up, and helis are no exception:
[video=youtube_share;W91D44G3NIw]https://youtu.be/W91D44G3NIw[/video]
The owners can be seen ambling leisurely accross the field with no urgency whatsoever, obviously not realising the dog was in danger of being badly hurt. Happily I managed to keep the dog from sticking it's nose in the rotors, might have been worse if i was flying the 600's or 700's.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
They have a leash law here in the U.S. If anything would of happen, the owner of the dog would of been at fault. Close call.

trainrider06

So the field i fly at is a public area. Normally this isnt a problem, even dogs arent usually a problem, but there is one exception.. Border Collies. They have the inbred instinct to round things up, and helis are no exception:
[video=youtube_share;W91D44G3NIw]https://youtu.be/W91D44G3NIw[/video]
The owners can be seen ambling leisurely accross the field with no urgency whatsoever, obviously not realising the dog was in danger of being badly hurt. Happily I managed to keep the dog from sticking it's nose in the rotors, might have been worse if i was flying the 600's or 700's.
As dangerous as that was for the dog, I couldn't help chuckling watching that dog running back and forth chasing that heli!
Glad it turned out ok, and the dog actually listened to you! I know that had to be a heart stopper!
That's a nice heli too by the way! Makes me want one!

Smoggie

Yes, the Chase 360 is a brilliant heli, the engineering is fantastic, best heli in its class as far as I'm concerned.

I found it funny too, in fact you can hear me chuckle to myself when the dog first showed up. The only dangerous part is landing and as a rule the owner turn up and take the dog away before that's an issue but in this case they seemed in no hurry. With hindsight i should have just cruised around on low headspeed and gave them time to amble over and collect the dog.

The owners were actually a nice couple and quite interested in the helis so i didn't make a big deal of it. I just pointed out that i was worried about the dog getting hurt, no point alienating people.

trainrider06

Is that 360 comparable to a 450 heli in size?
Sounds like you are a good representative to the hobby!
I don't think people really realize just what those blades can do to someone or something if they are not around them.
I kept thinking, man if that dog gets to the heli after the blades stop he's probably going to have to chase after it because the dog might run off with its new toy! That woulda really made for some great video! Lol!

Smoggie

It's basically a 6s powered 'stretched 450'. Same size as the Trex 450L Dominator or Blade 360 CFX. In flight it really 'feels' like a much bigger and better heli than the old Trex 450 pro.

Yeah, me chasing a dog with a heli in it's jaws would make good video. My money would be on the dog winning that race.

Lee

This happens on a regular basis here where I fly. I just hover and ask the owner to hold the dog, or wait until they are gone, even if that means draining the battery down lower than I would like.

Smoggie

Yes, the downside of that is you would eventually have no option but to land when the battery is totally depleted but with no control of the timing, so possibly right on top of the waiting dog!. I tried to bring mine down when the dog was (I thought) a safe distance away and while i still had juice in the battery enough to be in control of the situation. There was no sign of the owners when the dog showed up, it must have ran all the way from the far side of the field.

With hindsight I would have been better cruising around for an extra minute or two on 'minimum power' as the owners appeared soon after I landed.

trainrider06

Yes, the Chase 360 is a brilliant heli, the engineering is fantastic, best heli in its class as far as I'm concerned.

I found it funny too, in fact you can hear me chuckle to myself when the dog first showed up. The only dangerous part is landing and as a rule the owner turn up and take the dog away before that's an issue but in this case they seemed in no hurry. With hindsight i should have just cruised around on low headspeed and gave them time to amble over and collect the dog.

The owners were actually a nice couple and quite interested in the helis so i didn't make a big deal of it. I just pointed out that i was worried about the dog getting hurt, no point alienating people.
Ah! Dang I am in the process of putting together a 6s Dominator!
Oh well too late now!

trainrider06

The 450L is a fine heli too, i'm sure you will be delighted with it.

I'm going to do some upgrades to it, get rid of those crappy button head screws, some tail upgrades.
Am replacing all the frame screws with stainless steel cap screws on the frame and head blocks.
I've read those to be weak points of the heli. Eventually I'll run a Castle esc, and maybe a different motor/servo's.
Any reccomendations on servo motor be welcomed! :)

Smoggie

On the ESC I can't recommend the Hobbywing 50A V3 highly enough.. I think there is a 60A version now which is even better but the 50A rox and is more than enough for a 6s 450.. Very powerful voltage adjustable BEC, excellent governor and the silkiest slow start you have ever seen.

My Chase uses Savox but if i were building it today i'd use KST they are hard to beat bang for buck:
KST 215MG servo on cyclic.
KST 515MG servo tail.

Last edited:

Lee

I have the HW 50A V3 on my Warp 360.
Works really well.
I did have Savox on it, but changed to KST.

trainrider06

On the ESC I can't recommend the Hobbywing 50A V3 highly enough.. I think there is a 60A version now which is even better but the 50A rox and is more than enough for a 6s 450.. Very powerful voltage adjustable BEC, excellent governor and the silkiest slow start you have ever seen.

My Chase uses Savox but if i were building it today i'd use KST they are hard to beat bang for buck:
KST 215MG servo on cyclic.
KST 515MG servo tail.
Ah thanks so much! I'll check into these units.
Thanks a lot!

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Ah thanks so much! I'll check into these units.
Thanks a lot!

Hey Rodney. I agree with Lee and Smoggie on the Hobbywing 50a V3 esc. I have that in my Gaui X3 and works great. I'm also running the KST 215MG all around. I'm a happier camper.

trainrider06

Hey Rodney. I agree with Lee and Smoggie on the Hobbywing 50a V3 esc. I have that in my Gaui X3 and works great. I'm also running the KST 215MG all around. I'm a happier camper.

Ok, will check em out, have a set of brand new DS430's I may run at first don't know will have to decide....still have to acquire a BeastX for it too. It's gonna be a while till I get it completed due to heli budget low on cash right now.

Rodney, one thing I did to my 450L was replace the landing skids and tail fin with the 500 model. It will give the heli a wider and taller stance with more tail blade ground clearance. It has saved me from tail strikes a couple of times.

Juan

trainrider06

Thank you Juan! I'll get some, already have the 500 tail boom braces coming, had seen where this guy recommended them for better bracing.

Top Bottom