250 Blade SR conversion to 230S?

Kingfish3r1

So a little while back I noticed that the Blade 230s, has many similarities to the old SR that came out in 2010. The frame, boom and Main motor motor are the same from the old SR. I own one of these SRs and wanted to do a conversion, installing the 230s tail section and ESC from from a 230s and KEEPING the servos, gyro and main rotor head from the SR. Basically making a flybared version of the Blade 230s. I Haven't found any possible issues that could come along from a swap like this, and I think that it would be a massive improvement from the stock brushed tail motor SR.

Could anyone spot some possible issues that can come along with a mod like this? Or am I in the clear to start something like this

Thanks , James

trainrider06

That's kinda been on the minds of a lot of SR owners every since the 230s came out. Myself if I just happened to have the parts 230s ESC, tail motor, and mounts would probably give it a try just to see. But I don't want to sink so much money and parts into an SR that it just becomes a 230s either. The main frame is slightly different though, it has canopy mounts in a different spot and the bracing is different on the nose of the frame
Same main motor, skids, main gear, and diameter of the tail shaft, not sure about length though and hole mounts for the tail case and such. One guy suposidly put a 230s FBL rotor head, and tail motor, then stuck some cheap FBL unit on it and said it flies that way, but I never heard if any issues came about with it.
Sorry I guess your question wasn't really answered huh?

Kingfish3r1

I thought it would be a really cool conversion, It just popped into my head not too long ago. If it happens I plan to spend $30 on the whole tail section and another $35 on the Esc totaling out to be $65 give or take. In comparison to the actual 230, which costs about $250 for the BNF. I'm selling the current 2in 1 and tail on eBay just to see if i can make something off them.

If i like it I plan to deck it out with microheli parts and make a really cool looking bird outta the SR

Im just looking to see if anyone did it and how it worked out for them and if it really is as easy as I think it is :biggrin1:

trainrider06

Ah another one like myself that would just like to get the little bird dependable enough to fly consistently huh? Lol
I started out with the SR when I started flying Cp birds, and oh the crashes I have had! It's an addicting little bird, because it will actually fly very nice, but put another pack in it and it can go to a handful where it acts like it's in rate mode, and the tail a mind of its own! Well if you try it I'd like to hear the outcome! I have 2 remaining SR's one of which I wouldn't mind doing what you want to do with. The other one I'll probably keep stock because I guess I'm a gluten for punishment lol

KLA

Everything Rodney said is 100% accurate. I also started with a SR as one of my first CP helis. A lot of what I know about the SR I learned from Rodney.

BUT, one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet.....you said you are keeping the stock SR rotor head, right? Well, anybody please correct me if I'm wrong, but the stock SR rotor head is flybarred. The 230S electronics are for FBL with the SAFE system. Won't the FBL electronics and the flybarred head fight against each other? Maybe I am wrong, but I think that might be a problem.

Kingfish3r1

I have that exact thought, about the SAFE system in it. Is the esc and FBL system an all in one unit? or is there the FBL unit separate from the speed controller? Because I want to keep the stock head to keep costs down on the build. That was my only issue, i don't wanna put down $35 on the esc and not have it work lol

Tony

Staff member
If you put a flybarless controller in the helicopter, you will need a flybarless head. Otherwise, as stated before, the flybar and the flybarless control unit will be fighting each other. And I believe they are all one unit.

KLA

No, the ESC and the AR636A FBL unit are not one piece. They are 2 separate units. But, just like I thought, you will also need a FBL head if you want the heli to fly correctly.

Tony

Staff member
Thanks for the correction. I thought they had the all in one board. Now I know...

KLA

No problem, Tony. Yeah, the AR636A is a separate FBL gyro. It has an integrated RX, kinda like the AR7200 BX, but it us separate from the ESC.

Last edited:

trainrider06

I think the guy is wondering as I am myself if the esc/BL motor combination would work leaving the head a FB.
I would like to do that myself to one of my SR's. It has been done using 2 separate esc's but hasn't sounded like it's been a tried and true performer. I'd imagine one would need a different gyro also since that G110 seems to have a mind of its own.

KLA

Well that clears things up a bit. But the only advantage would be having a BL tail motor. Probably could do the same thing on the SR with a second small ESC, like you mentioned earlier, for a lot less money.

Kingfish3r1

Thanks guys I really appreciate the help!
I just took the Ebay listings down so I don't end up without an esc and a tail section :lmao:
This clears up a lot so I don't dump a lot of $ on something that wouldn't work haha

Anyone got an ESC and small BL tail setup that they know about that won't burn a hole in the wallet?
Would be quite interested to hear about some!

Thanks!

Top Bottom