Micro Blade mCPx tail boom repair

bigone5500

I found a piece of fiberglass rod that came with a kite or something the other day. I decided to try it out as a tail boom replacement material. The rod is solid and thicker at 2.5mm compared to the original hollow at 2mm. The extra weight shouldn't matter. At this point I have no metric drill bits so I'll have to see what I can find to enlarge the holes. I might be able to chuck the rod in my drill and hold it against a piece of sandpaper. I got enough that I can screw it up a couple times and be ok.

20170826_113548.jpg

bigone5500

Success. I used a 3/32" drill bit and pressed the boom into the holes. It was a tight fit but that's good. The hard part was soldering the small wires back on the connector. I secured the wires to the boom with some scotch tape. A quick test flight and all is well!

20170826_155915.jpg

Tony

Staff member
That is exactly what I did to mine. Only difference was I used heat shrink to hold the wires. I have yet to break a solid boom lol.

Geena

Staff member
Nice repair. I did something similar with my mCPx a while back. But I used a piece of a flybar from an old T-Rex 450. :)

Top Bottom