Micro Blade mCP-X Tail Extension Mod

Tony

Staff member
Well guys, I went out today with dead calm wind and I tried out both the stock tail, and the extended tail. The extended tail was made out of 2mm carbon rod (solid) and is exactly 6" long. This is about 1/8" longer than what they were saying to do.

I took it out with the stock tail, and found out where on the pitch in a punch out (or pitch pump) it was blowing out. Then I set my travel limit to hit that exact point every time. Then I installed the longer tail. IT BLEW OUT EXACTLY THE SAME. Every time I hit full pitch with the limit adjusted, there was no difference, at all.

My conclusion, do not waste your time on this mod. The tail boom is longer, meaning there is more leverage for it to snap in a crash, it's slightly heavier (not a huge deal), and it just plane doesn't work.

But I urge you to go out and at least try it yourself if you must know. It was fun making it, and I will be doing a video on how to do it. But, It's just not worth it IMO. I would love to hear your results guys.

I would have had it on video, but the friggin Keychain cam is overheating and shutting off after about 2 minutes. Yup, I'm :cussing:. Oh well, I will just have to bring out my big camera next time...

Lee

Interesting. A lot of people agree with you and a lot say its so much better???? I wonder why, and what people are doing differently.

Tony

Staff member
I'm not sure, that is why I want everyone to atleast try it and see what they think. I did the most scientific way of testing this that I could, and if the results were different, I didn't notice. I think on quick pitch pumps, it may hold a little better, but when that main motor is sucking all of the power, adn it kills the tail, I don't care if the tail is 10' long, it's not going to help lol. And I think that is what it's doing, is actually killing the tail.

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
Well, I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in. My mCPx was doing a little vibration act at random entervals. I researched it and found that the likly cause was dust or dirt in the servos or servo contacts. So being a computer nerd I had some electrical contact cleaner, I sprayed her down real good (without the battery) and let it dry real good. Low and behold the vibration disappeared.

I also found a bunch of other mod tips that I haven't had time to try yet. As soon a my tail boom breaks I'll replace it with a fiber rod like Tony did. That lil bugger will get up pretty good.

Tony

Staff member
If there was dirt on the contacts, you can take the 4 screws out of the servo, and actually remove them from the board. This will give you access to the contacts. and a pencil eraser works great.

And, I will say this, if I break the tail boom, I will be replacing it with the same length carbon rod, but not extended. I took it out again last night with the stock tail, and it did just fine. I love this helicopter lol.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
ok.. my scoop to this.,. I have an extended tail... i donno about blow out "protection" it still blows out and I have had it go multiple times.. still have to be gentle on the negative. Well, its still a little heli, its battery is small and power is limited. So treat it with respect.. :) it will love you :)

Lee

I have no problems with blow outs until the wind gets up. Flipping to inverted in 15mph+ you need a lot of pitch change to stop it hitting the deck. But with very careful collective management its fine stock.

Lee

Ok now i have the chance to try out the new boom mod. I finally broke something on my MCPX. Just being stupid really, trying thing i have no idea how to pull off. So to the LHS tomorrow for some carbon rod :D

Lee

Not sure if this will fly. 20cm Kebab stick. 100 sticks for 1 euro. Cheap replacements :D

Photo 36.jpg

Lee

its not strong enough to fly. Still waiting to get my carbon rod to fix the tail

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
I was going to ask ... are the rods for the training gear the same size as the tail boom? Or are they a bit smaller? Just curious.

Tony

Staff member
There is actually training gear that is 2mm. Bit the gear you have Paul is too thick.

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
Sounds about right. Was thinking it might be a cheap alternative with something most of us have sitting around.

Lee

I'm afraid it doesn't work Gaba. The skewers are 4mm thick and once i sanded it down to 2mm it was as hard as spagetti. Just for a laugh thats all :D

Top Bottom