500 Blade 500 auto rotation problem

Sterling

As I am a first timer to posting on a forum and a relative newcomer to the RC world, I am certain there will be issues with my terminology, diagnosis of problems, and repairs needed. I do, however, have some background in aviation with my father being a licensed single engine pilot, and for 5 years I was a Navy Air Traffic Controller. Ok, my RC background. My first CCPM heli launch without a crash, then staying in the air for a full 5 to 6 minutes was 2 months ago, and I get to fly maybe twice a week, 2 batteries. I was working with a Blade 400 I bought 2 years ago used and in pieces so I know where everything goes and pretty much how it should be set up, (from watching Tony and his Rc-Help.com video's on U Tube). Didn't make much progress so 2 months ago I bought this Blade 500 3D Basic and progress was made immediately. BTW, the transmitter that came with the 400 is a DX6i DSMX. I use X Heli 430mm CF main blades, Sky Lipo 6 cell 22.2v 40C 3000mah batteries, (recommended was a 30c 2900mah) charged by a Thunder AC6 dual power set on Balance charge at 1.0 amps.
That being said, last week I set it down a little hard , broke the forward landing skid leg where it meets the heli frame and 1 tail rotor blade. Pulled it apart, went through it tip to tail, top to bottom, which I have done before, put it all back together, and have flown it another 2-3 batteries time, but it is acting like it's in a bind. Where it used to freewheel for 30-45 seconds or more once I set down (throttle at 1/2 stick, curve is set at 80% positions 3, 4, & hi), now it goes maybe 10-15 tops. And the motor and drive gear are spinning the whole time. When I first noticed this, I brought it in, took it completely apart, washed out ALL the bearings, blade grips, thrust bearings, all 3 main shaft bearings, the one way bearing, the tail shaft and blade grip bearings, even the drive belt guide wheel bearings. They all spin just fine. Put it all back together and the same situation. It has effectively cut flight time by half and it almost feels as if the 1 way is I backwards, bt that cant be, and the drive gear is not upside down, so I am stumped, short of replacing almost every bearing, which I do have on the way from Horizon Hobby if this doesn't produce results. ANYONE ???

Tony

Staff member
One thing that we do ask is you use carrage returns in a post that long. For some, it's hard to read the "wall-O-text". Just an FYI :biggrin1:

Upon reading your issue, you stated that you "washed out the bearings". What did you "wash" them with and what did you use to oil them?

If the main gear is still spinning when you power the helicopter off, then the main gear is locked to the auto gear. This is a one way bearing (OWB) issue. It's locking to the shaft. You need to use some white grease on the one way, don't use oil or regular grease on it. It needs to be lubed, but it can't slip. I use Diff lube that is made for Rc cars myself.

One thing that I did read and had a chuckle is your charger. With that battery that you are using, you can charge at at least 3 amps for a 1c charge rate. However, I suspect it's a 2c or higher charge rate battery which means you can charge it at 6+ amps. It will take far less time than the 1amp that you are charging at now. However, that charger that you are using will only go up to 2.2 amps on a 6s pack. Might want to look into a better charger if you keep flying. Just an FYI.

I would take your main shaft out and check the sleeve that goes into the OWB. If it's not perfectly smooth, then there is your issue.

Sterling

Thanks for the advice, suggestions and tips. I read somewhere a guy said to charge at 1 to make the batteries last longer but as they came with no real instructions, I just went with it. I will change it back to 3.0 And I am sorry if this was a PM to you, I thought it was a new thread but I am new to this. Lastly, I washed with wd-40 and a straight pin on the thrusts, soaked in wd for sealed and lubed with DuPont Teflon silicone lube. but on the sleeve to 1 way I use white lith grease. I will still ry as you suggested and see if I missed something. Thanks again.

Tony

Staff member
This is in the public forum, no worries.

And what they meant is a 1c charge rate which is mah/1000. So for a 3000mah pack, that would be 3 amps. But as stated, your 50w charger will only be able to do 2.2 amps (watts/voltage, or 50/25).

But I can almost assure you are going to feel some grooves on that sleeve that goes into the OWB. It's common.

Sterling

Belt is actually a little loose according to the book, and it's not twisted other than the 1/2 counter clockwise cause I pulled the tail to make sure. I am thinking Tony is onto something with the sleeve maybe having a burr or a ridge or something but thanks for the idea. I know about setting up the tail belt simply because I set it up wrong on the 400 once and it cost me some $$$.

Sterling

Outstanding. So even with it showing a 3.0 it will only go to 2.2. Ok, learned something new. I am tearing it down right now and will let you know what I find. I apologize to everyone for the mis spellings, this new wireless keyboard seems to be dropping and adding letters randomly so it is going back to live at Walmart tonight.

Tony

Staff member
No worries on the misspellings. You should see some of the posts on here where it's as long as your first post in this thread, but with no punctuation, txt shorthand and just overall unreadable lol.

But yes, you can set that battery to 5 amps, and it will only go up to 50w worth of power which is the max programmed into the charger.

Sterling

Yes sir but for some reason when I hold it by the belt and let it dangle it wants to place the belt north south so I think in terms of 1/2 twist now. Its a bad habit I know. Will try to shake that one as I am sure I have many more to take it's place.

Tony

Staff member
As long as the belt is not rubbing it's self and your tail blades are spinning CCW when looking at it from the right side of the heli, you are all good. But yes, so let us know about that OWB sleeve.

Sterling

Thanks. I tried to get the batteries Blade recommended, but is it just me or is X-Heli out of stock on just about every thing posted there. These were the only ones close to the 30C 2900's and they seem to work but I didn't know for sure when I ordered them.

- - - Updated - - -

Will do sir and thanks again.

Tony

Staff member
Those batteries that you have now will do great. In fact, with the 40c discharge rate, it won't get as warm as the others. So no worries on the battery choice. And yes, xheli is always out of just about everything. This is why I have started only dealing with amainhobbies, horizon, towerhobbies and the like. hobbyking, xheli, hobbypartz all of those I don't deal with anymore.

Sterling

To Tony and Dog, Thanks guys for the help. Looks as if a burr was the problem apparently, because even tho I couldn't see or feel anything burr like, I put some 2200 to the sleeve and main shaft, steel wool to fine it up some, painted it with lith grease, and now it may freewheel too much. Anyway, HUGE HELP, big thanks.

Tony

Staff member
Sometimes, it just needs a fresh surface put on it to work correctly. Not only does it need to grab, but it also needs to release. One thing that can keep it from releasing is the cage that the one way bearings are housed in. If they are too free, or have too much space to move, they will lock in position. Just keep an eye on it and if it keeps happening, replace the OWB and sleeve and your issues will be cured.

Sterling

The only thing I have bought from them lately are the batteries and charger and these EXI yellow 430mm main blades. I have to drill them to accept the bushings and sand down the root some but I don't know where else to look for blades at that price. Any suggestions cause I am not married to em. Would jump ship quick if I had an alt. supply.

- - - Updated - - -

Well you certainly nailed it. Saved me a small bankroll and it is appreciated.

murankar

Staff member
If your looking for batteries on x-heli or hobbypartz then yes they are known to be out of stock. The gensace brand batteries are extremely popular right now. Very reliable, last a long time both in time owned and in cycles.

Now that it's December your going to be hard pressed to find batteries. Wait till January when inventories start to replenish.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Top Bottom