450 Blade 450 Screws

RMB677

On the Blade 450 3D, does anyone know the specs/size of the screws used to lock the tail boom into the frame. On the parts list they aren't called out separately, only in a parts pack that I currently don't need. I've had to loosen these screws a couple of time to tighten the tail belt and with them being phillips head I'm afraid sooner or later the head will strip out. If I can find one's small enough that use an allen key it would be great.

murankar

Staff member
Just go to Lowes and see if they have something that matches. If so then get them in hex head or see if horizon hobbies has them in hex.

Tony

Staff member
If it's not metric, then I'm guessing it's a 4-40 screw. But, I'm sure even the blade heli's were built in china so they will be metric and I have no idea.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Ace hard where or Hector's is where I would look! Any good hard where store in your area will carry metric screws. I would suggest stainless screws though.

RMB677

Since it doesn't take much of a tail hit on the ground to move the tail boom and loosen the belt, loose belt already caused a crash, I'm thinking of trying to find a screw/bolt long enough to pass through the frame that can be tightened using a nut rather than depending on a screw in plastic. (Whew, that was a long sentence) I guess taking a screw to ACE and seeing what I can find is my best bet. If need be I might drill the hole larger if nothing is in the way.

Tony

Staff member
Put a couple-three rounds of scotch tape on the boom, it will stop it from twisting like that. On a hide note... Mmm Scotch :drool:

RMB677

Thanks for that tip Tony, I wasn't sure if that would be an acceptable solution. As to the side note, I'm getting ready to pour myself a double Jack Daniels and go watch the news.

RMB677

Solved the problem. Even after replacing the broken tail boom I could not get the boom mount screws to tighten sufficiently to keep the boom from sliding in and loosening the belt. The screws are small machine/sheet metal type screws and go into plastic. To sove the problem I bought a length of 2-56 all threaded rod and nylon insert locking nuts. I drilled out the screw holes through the frame, inserted the all thread with the nuts, tightened everything and so far no more problem.

If you can find 1-64 rod and nuts you will get away without having to enlarge the hole as much.

Top Bottom