450 blade 450 head ?

reelworks

Hello all, new to forum and the 450 size ships.
I've crashed a few times( still learning :wink: ) I want to set the head back to 'zero' so to speak. Basically when it comes to all the push rods for the swash plate( and the top of the head also) is there a measurement to go by to put them all back to 'zero's when I start making adjustments so I have enough push or pull on them? right now after making any resets I have little threads left on the ball joints on the swashplate side.
Thanks in advance!

Rob

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Hey rob.. I am sure the manual would have the measurements on the rod lengths. Let me look for a copy online for you, cause that'll give you approximate (zero) measurements to start with... and then do you use pitch gauge to set your pitch?

Correction: the manual doesnt have the settings. Ok.. the other way to go , I would basically get the pitch gauge, and take the angle at zero mid and full stick.. Tony here has a video up to set thepitch of your heli. and if you get to a point where you have equal pitch going up and down, you are golden. I would just follow that video.

I am also trying to find those settings online. I will let you know if i see something.

Last edited:

reelworks

Thanks Gaba
I have pitch gage, have a good idea for re-setting pitch,
but after messing with the head after rebuilding twice, my rod on swash are almost bottomed out on swash side. All my controllers setting for servos are set back to center etc.

Lee

Download a copy of the Align Trex 450 SE or Pro or Sport manual (which ever model you have). It has the control rod lengths in there. Start from the servos to swash and work your way up to the head.
Good luck

Tony

Staff member
Hey Rob, I think you are one from youtube that I had come over here. If so, here is what I couldn't type on there.

The first thing you need to do is visit the link below and download the manual that fits your heli.

Rc-Help - Instruction Manuals

Once you get it downloaded, you need to find the measurements of all of the links on your helicopter. It will give you the measurement from center ball to center ball. Get this as close as you can. If you are using the pro frame, then all of your swash links will be the same length. It will take a bit, but it will be the perfect starting spot. Make sure that you are screwing each end on the same distance (ie, one is not showing threads and is bottomed out when the other only has a couple threads screwed in it).

Once you have all the links measured out correctly, now you need to set your servo arms at 90* to the links at mid stick. Make sure your pitch settings have mid stick at 50 if you are using the DX6i. You will also need to have your throttle hold on. Check that throttle hold (or "hold" in the menu) is at 0% on throttle curve all the way across. This will keep the motor from spinning. But it's always best to unplug two wires. Then, make sure the pitch curve on hold is 0, 25, 50, 75, 100. This way you can set your pitch here in a second.

Once your servo arms are centered with subtrim (your trim should still be centered), now you need to put your pitch gauge on the heli at mid stick. Adjust the 3 swash links until you get to 0* of pitch. Once that is done, go to full positive pitch. You should be around 11* of pitch. You shouldn't need anymore but we will adjust this later. Once you get that number, check your negative pitch. If the numbers are the same, then you are done. But if your numbers are off, then we need to do some link adjusting.

If your positive pitch is more than the negative, then you need to make your swash links to servos shorter. One turn at a time. This part takes forever. Don't worry about mid stick right now. If your negative pitch is more, then your swash is too low. Adjust that until your positive and negative numbers are exactly the same.

Now, put your radio at mid stick with hold on, and check for 0 pitch. If you are dead on, or off by just a hair, you are done. If it's off, adjust either the grip to mixing arm links, or the mixing arm to swash links until you get to 0 pitch at mid stick. Once you are there, check your positive and negative again.

Setting up the head can take hours, and you will need to take a break before you throw the heli through the window lol. But, once you get everything setup perfect, it will be worth it. Remember, when you crash, it's unlikely you are going to break multiple links, and there is always a double of it so you can get new ones to match it to. The exception is for those where the pitch and aileron servos are stacked on top of each other, then one of the swash links will be unique. But, the grip, mixing, and washout arms all have doubles.

I hope this helps you out. Like I said, I could not put this into the youtube comment box. If I skipped over something (I don't think I did, but just in case) let me know and I will cover it. I have not flown a heli in months so I'm having to really think about this again lol. But it's all good, I need to start flying my heli again.

Welcome to the forum!

Tony

Staff member
Hey Rob, I think you are one from youtube that I had come over here. If so, here is what I couldn't type on there.

The first thing you need to do is visit the link below and download the manual that fits your heli.

Rc-Help - Instruction Manuals

Once you get it downloaded, you need to find the measurements of all of the links on your helicopter. It will give you the measurement from center ball to center ball. Get this as close as you can. If you are using the pro frame, then all of your swash links will be the same length. It will take a bit, but it will be the perfect starting spot. Make sure that you are screwing each end on the same distance (ie, one is not showing threads and is bottomed out when the other only has a couple threads screwed in it).

Once you have all the links measured out correctly, now you need to set your servo arms at 90* to the links at mid stick. Make sure your pitch settings have mid stick at 50 if you are using the DX6i. You will also need to have your throttle hold on. Check that throttle hold (or "hold" in the menu) is at 0% on throttle curve all the way across. This will keep the motor from spinning. But it's always best to unplug two wires. Then, make sure the pitch curve on hold is 0, 25, 50, 75, 100. This way you can set your pitch here in a second.

Once your servo arms are centered with subtrim (your trim should still be centered), now you need to put your pitch gauge on the heli at mid stick. Adjust the 3 swash links until you get to 0* of pitch. Once that is done, go to full positive pitch. You should be around 11* of pitch. You shouldn't need anymore but we will adjust this later. Once you get that number, check your negative pitch. If the numbers are the same, then you are done. But if your numbers are off, then we need to do some link adjusting.

If your positive pitch is more than the negative, then you need to make your swash links to servos shorter. One turn at a time. This part takes forever. Don't worry about mid stick right now. If your negative pitch is more, then your swash is too low. Adjust that until your positive and negative numbers are exactly the same.

Now, put your radio at mid stick with hold on, and check for 0 pitch. If you are dead on, or off by just a hair, you are done. If it's off, adjust either the grip to mixing arm links, or the mixing arm to swash links until you get to 0 pitch at mid stick. Once you are there, check your positive and negative again.

Setting up the head can take hours, and you will need to take a break before you throw the heli through the window lol. But, once you get everything setup perfect, it will be worth it. Remember, when you crash, it's unlikely you are going to break multiple links, and there is always a double of it so you can get new ones to match it to. The exception is for those where the pitch and aileron servos are stacked on top of each other, then one of the swash links will be unique. But, the grip, mixing, and washout arms all have doubles.

I hope this helps you out. Like I said, I could not put this into the youtube comment box. If I skipped over something (I don't think I did, but just in case) let me know and I will cover it. I have not flown a heli in months so I'm having to really think about this again lol. But it's all good, I need to start flying my heli again.

Welcome to the forum!

reelworks

Hi Tony
Yes I was the you tube guy. This will get me very well started in getting my ship back together . You videos helped a lot the first 2 crashed LOL when I had to re-set the head.

Rob

Tony

Staff member
You will get there again. Just takes a little time. Every time I get a new helicopter, I go through this first thing after I get it together. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Hey rob, believe me, this will become a habit. Opening the head, reassembling it, resetting the pitch, then crashing replacing parts as starting over lol.. Hahahah.

It takes a bit in the start but then, you get used to it.. ;)

I know because my name is "crash master" lol

Tony

Staff member
No, you are Master Crasher lol. Maybe I should change it to Dyslexic Master Crasher hahahaha

reelworks

Thanks for all the help and info. One other question that will open up a lot doors on all this science of head rebuilds.
I have the DX6I that came with my ship. At horizon's web site they had a video to show us newbies how to create a 2nd set of settings to really mellow out the bird, in normal and idle up modes, which I programed in. When it comes to resetting pitch etc should I use the out of the box settings and then just rebind with the new mellow settings? OR set it up with mellow settings. ALso set up in either in the 'normal' mode or idle up mode?

Thanks
Rob

Tony

Staff member
All of that should be done with the dual rates and the 3 switches for those. With Dual rates, you can set position 0 where you have full throws on everything, and position 1 you only have about 75% or whatever you want to set it at. then, when you are running full throws, put in about +40 on the expo to tame it down at the beginning of the stick movements. For more info on what dual rate and expo does, do a search for my video on youtube titled "Dual Rates & Expo Explained". That should give you an idea of what the settings you are making are doing. Hope this helps.

reelworks

Thanks Tony. I bookmarked all your videos. That's where I had gotten an handle on all this. Not to ask too many dumb questions, but should I use the out of box settings on position 0 to do all adjustments-THEN change and rebind to the mellow settings? I'm guessing yes as those settings give full range and then you 'dumb it down" with another set of setting. I have to check, but I believe setting the +40 was one of the things I did on the expo on the mellow settings.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
I don't see why you should have to make another model, and rebind the heli everytime you want to try flying with more throw. I would have to see the video to know what exactly they are talking about.

Top Bottom