500 Blade 450 3d Belt tracking off of Rotor gear

rwhwwi

I joined this site, when I bought the Blade 450 3d, which I set up, per video. I then crashed and had to replace the main drive gear. I went through the set up again. I crashed again, this time I took out the tail boom and tail rotor housing. I replaced all of the damaged parts the I could see.

Now the belt tracks to the port side of the tail boom and comes off the pulley. I will not reassembled any more, until I find out how to center the belt on the pulley and keep it there. I am worried about wearing out the screw holes in the plastic, from multiple R&Rs.

Any help would be welcomed.

Bob

murankar

Staff member
You may have to shim the rear belt pulley. If the rear pulley is held in place with a set screw then just center the pulley.

Personally I would need to look at the manual to see how that is assembled.

murankar

Staff member
If the belt is slipping off the front pulley then you will need to shim it. The rear pulley does not appear to be adjustable.

Now you maybe able to shim the rear pulley, I don't know for sure. I only have the manual to reference. I have never owned one of these helicopters.

Last edited:

rwhwwi

If the belt is slipping off the front pulley then you will need to shim it. The rear pulley does not appear to be adjustable.

Now you maybe able to shim the rear pulley, I don't know for sure. I only have the manual to reference. I have never owned one of these helicopters.

The belt at the rear pulley, is what is falling off, and the shaft seems to be floating back and forth, which also changes the tail rotor operation.

I will order a new shaft and tail rotor housing. The plastic house I bought, seems to be the cause of the belt tracking problem. I heated slightly and moved it, while cooling, and the belt stays on now. But the shaft moving back and forth in the bearing seems to really affect the gyro.

So I will waiting for a new shaft, and an aluminum housing.

That for the reply.

Bob

Tony

Staff member
If the shaft has lateral play, then you need shims. There are grooves on both front and rear pulleys that should keep the belt on. If it's falling off, then it's likely the belt is not tight enough. Tighten the belt, lock down the tail block and mark the boom. Go out and fly a pack and look at the mark you made. If the tail boom slid forward, put a piece of scotch tape or packing tape around the boom one time where it goes into the tail block in the frame.

rwhwwi

20161119_171922.jpg20161119_171846.jpg

The shaft is floating in the housing, the manual does not call for shims, but good point, tomorrow I will try.

20161119_171922.jpg

20161119_171846.jpg

RMB677

Just looked at my Blade 450 and the tail rotor shaft should not move. Double check that you have installed both bearings onto the shaft before closing the housing. Also make sure that the housing is shut tight. Take a magnifying glass and look at the schematic that is in the instruction book or go to the Horizon web site and bring up the schematic (assuming its still possible) and do an enlargement of the tail area.

Top Bottom