380/420 Blade 400 Bent feathering shaft stuck - help please?

Blade 400

Hi all,

I have finally got round to fixing one of my Blade 400 Heli`s that I crashed a while ago (been having too much fun with my new Tarot 450 fbl v2)
I have replaced two servos as the gears were stripped, replaced the boom (boom strike) and I am trying to separate the blade grips from the feathering shaft, they won`t come off???
Having disconnected all four ball links, I have used two 1.5mm drivers and turned them anti-clockwise, one of the bolts has come out with a few washers, but the other is just turning. I have tried pulling one blade grip off but it`s stuck fast???
I don`t want to break or damage anything else, the feathering shaft is definitely bent. I`m thinking of applying some heat with a heat gun?
Can anyone please advise on the correct way to replace the shaft?
Many Thanks
Derek

Rackman

Stick a pair of pliers on the feathering bar and use the allen to remove the other bolt from the blade grip..nothing to loss..then just order another feathering bar and youron you way if nothing else bent..good luck bud

Rackman

I have had this same issue before. Your lucky if it was just the feathering shaft that bent..but they do come off pretty easy..sorry to hear about your crash..just make sure when you put it all back together it all looks true when you spin the head..

Blade 400

Stick a pair of pliers on the feathering bar and use the allen to remove the other bolt from the blade grip..nothing to loss..then just order another feathering bar and youron you way if nothing else bent..good luck bud
Hi Rackman,
I can`t get the blade grip off to get at the feathering shaft??? I did find that when I took one bolt off the end of the feathering shaft, an old flybar pin has the same thread as the shaft, I screwed it in and have tried tapping that to get the feathering shaft out but its stuck fast??? Any ideas please?
Thanks

Rackman

humm.. one side of the feather bar I'm sure is straighter is it not ... and if so that is the side I would push back though. do you have access to a vise to help assist you,,? the straighter of the two ends should be the one to be pushed on.. take a picture of what we have to work with there if you can ,,

Blade 400

humm.. one side of the feather bar I'm sure is straighter is it not ... and if so that is the side I would push back though. do you have access to a vise to help assist you,,? the straighter of the two ends should be the one to be pushed on.. take a picture of what we have to work with there if you can ,,
Thanks mate, I`m being called away, so will give this a go when I can carry on tomorrow or Monday!
Will it help to apply some heat with a heat gun? or is it stuck because the shaft is bent?
:thumbsup:

Rackman

I realize its late back your way and if you get to a point that you feel your ready to give in for the night i truly understand but on the straightest end keep the grip off & just put the bolt back into the shaft. and add some baby oil to the shaft and push that straight side as hard as you can using the Allen wrench long end to push on. if it won't come out give it a day to like the oil soak into the rubber Gromit and it should come out

Blade 400

I realize its late back your way and if you get to a point that you feel your ready to give in for the night i truly understand but on the straightest end keep the grip off & just put the bolt back into the shaft. and add some baby oil to the shaft and push that straight side as hard as you can using the Allen wrench long end to push on. if it won't come out give it a day to like the oil soak into the rubber Gromit and it should come out
Thanks mate I`ll try that ;)

Rackman

I'm going to set an alarm to awake some where around 2:30 or 3:00 tonight to have real time to see if we can figure this out once a blade grip is removed there's just the main shaft "T" bar that the main shaft is connected to and of course a rubber Gromit on each side to keep the vibration level down you might even need to use a bit o heat to assist you but for the most the sewing machine oil or Baby oil should have been enough to enable you to slide the feathering shaft from that centering point..can you send a picture o what your left to work with that might help..

Rackman

Hoping you made progress..but I'm sure these pic's give you the juist of what I was trying to illustrate..

Attachments

• 20210913_125309.jpg
    20210913_125309.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210913_125342.jpg
    20210913_125342.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 2

Blade 400

I'm going to set an alarm to awake some where around 2:30 or 3:00 tonight to have real time to see if we can figure this out once a blade grip is removed there's just the main shaft "T" bar that the main shaft is connected to and of course a rubber Gromit on each side to keep the vibration level down you might even need to use a bit o heat to assist you but for the most the sewing machine oil or Baby oil should have been enough to enable you to slide the feathering shaft from that centering point..can you send a picture o what your left to work with that might help..
I can`t thank you enough Rackman :biggrin1: not least for your offer of real time support ;)
I had a really busy day yesterday but got up early today and after a lot of head scratching, I took your advice and really pulled on the blade grips and it finally separated :arms: I replaced the shaft and after a frustrating test flight where she kept spinning anti-clockwise, even when I used full right trim or adjusted her in rate mode mechanically!!! I luckily found a thread on another forum saying that it can be caused by the boom not being pulled far enough out of the main frame, It`s how the tail belt is tensioned. I re-set the boom and found she flew straight away without any yaw after that :boldblue:

I`m back in the air and I will be keeping her higher from now on :bellyroll:

Rackman

awesome as I was reading your post I could see it myself. I ran into that same issue one time a while back.. well glad to hear you got things turned around I just knew you would :arms::tears_of_joy:,,, well good deal well as I always say ... HAPPY flying

Top Bottom