Micro Blade 180 CFX

Admiral

https://photosynth.net/edit.aspx?cid=aec99a88-bf51-4d28-9ada-5c0129dc57d0
This is a Photosynth that I have added to see if it works on RC-Help.

IMG_3682 (Large).jpg

I recently bought a Blade 180 CFX to replace my Blade 130 X and just thought that I would pass on my views on it.

Flying.

Being only a sports flyer I have not taken it anywhere near it's limitations, but it is very maneuverable and has heap of power, it flies more like a 450 than the 130 X that it replaces.

Ruggedness

Can take no where near the punishment that the 130 X can take.

Shortcomings.

I bought the base model and found that the Cyclic Servos, Torque Tube and the Canopy needed to be upgraded. The servos could not take a slightly rough landing without stripping the plastic gears, the plastic Torque Tube could have the end spline ripped off by the application of a sudden burst of power and the canopy was just the standard flimsy Blade type subject to being easily damaged.

Conclusion

Once upgraded it is brilliant, gone are the hairy take off that plagued the 130, it is predictable to fly and is really very similar to the 450 in the air, you can purchase an additional cable to perform firmware upgrades, the only improvement that I have heard of is more stable piros but mine has no problems in this regard so maybe I already have the later firmware. I highly recommend it.

IMG_3682 (Large).jpg

Last edited:

trainrider06

I was thinking of one of those the other day! May have to get one in the future!
Thanks for the review and pix Keith!

leedude1

I was considering a new purchase myself, since I floated my 130x in the lake, and was wondering if I should rebuild/repair it or just move on to something else if the ticket price gets to high.

What upgrades did you put in and considering the price just dropped on the HH site, it might be a valid option. So worth while in your mind?

Admiral

Yeah I love mine, it replaced my 130s far better to fly but not as crash resistant.

I'd recommend metal gears in the cyclic servos and CF torque tube.

leedude1

Thanks Keith,

Ill check my 130x once it comes back and see what the damage is first... Im attached to it as a solid flier but have to admit it has its twitches and epileptic seizures from time to time that stump me......but the 180 looks real good as a step in to replace it if need be but seems like alot of plastic., I read a few reviews and they are solid for the most part.

leedude1

gonna find it hard to spenf the bucks if all I need is to replace the 3 in1 as it listed at only 85 buck vs t350 cad plus taxes foir the 180 which would put it upwards of 4 big ones

Admiral

I agree especially when you look at the extras I added to make it more serviceable, about $100 worth.

leedude1

Thanks my man, I mean my 130x has all the money you can put into it already...microheli tail with the weighted blade holders , metal gears, titanium main shaft blah blah blah.. and I still get wobbles and wiggles from time to time out of the blue ... but Its still a nice flying bird all in all..

Let you know how it turns out when I get my 130 back.

leedude1

So Ive been looking at reviews and putting some pennies aside...still havent got back the 130x yet but Im starting to lean towards the 180 keith.

Would a servo saver mod be just as good as the metal servos gears to avoid stripping? I did that mod to my 2 trex 150s and they've held up even on some nasty crashes...the last parking lot incident :facepalm: cost me a canopy and MRS unit but the servo gears are fine..

Do you know what a slipper clutch is? I've seen a few of these mods while looking into the 180 but Im not really understanding the purpose.

Admiral

Hi Mike, I didn't try the servo savers but have no doubt that they would help, the slipper clutch is basically the TT cut in the middle with a tight fitting piece of neoprene tubing over the cut area so that the TT will slip inside the tubing if it gets un-due pressure on it, that also should work. There is a commercial version of the slipper clutch available for the 180 but it is way more expensive than the CF TT with aluminum ends which also resolves the problem.

leedude1

Are you running one your self? If so which one the sanded down CF ...the aluminum ends are microheli I guess?

Admiral

Hi Mike, I'm running the Microheli TT with Aluminum ends and two bearings, no issues since I started using it.

The 180 has enough torque to screw the ends off the plastics ones if you do pumps or any rapid acceleration.

Tony

Staff member
hahaha, this sounds like the flybar paddles on my 450 SE V2 lmao. Man that sucked... I'm going to have to find that video now.

leedude1

Hey boys I just put metal gears in the servos and flew a quick hover to see how things were and upon landing realized I had 2 set screws for the servo horns!!! Does anyone know what size those screws are Im going to need to pick some up? I was using the Lynx set.

leedude1

Found the part on the lynx site screws are 1.6 x3. I ordered both the pan and the socket head, Im not sure if they both fit the metal gears (i know the pan heads do) and the pitch is the same for both...in any case the pan will work for sure and locktite it is :wink: as they supply a washer but it really doesnt appear to be a lock type so I dont really trust it.

wtowns

Hi! Admiral
Can you post links to the servos, torque tube, and canopy upgrades so I know what you used...mine could do with those upgrades.

also I upgraded the firmware yesterday on mine...there was two upgrades files...when I used one of the upgrades everything went nuts...servos went the wrong way, tail servo wouldn't work...so I downloaded and installed the larger upgrade file and all is sweet...just something to be aware of...the reason I upgraded was to fix a real bad tail wag. Nothing else I tried worked, but the upgrade solved the problem.

leedude1

I got my upgrades from lynxheli.com.. There are sweet canopies that you can get from fusuno or Canomod Ill post up one of mine from canomod for you later.

Batwing

I bought a Blade 180 cfx. I had some trouble getting it programmed for my Spektrum DX7. This lead to a couple of crashes and some new parts.
1.) Replaced the canopy with an Angry Bird from Rakon or Micro Heli
2.) I bought some replacement torque tubes since they are designed as a sacrificial component so that the tail and other gears are preserved in a crash ( if you are lucky you just replace the torque tube). JJ at inverted has a cool video regarding how to modify the torque tube with what he calls a slipper clutch.
3.) Reciever / Gyro - Mine was mounted very badly which made the bird a bit unstable. I remounted the rX with Kyosho Zeal Vibration mounting gel. I do this for all my birds.
4.) I have had to replace one of the servos.

All in all the frame and components are holding up fairly well. I fly this mostly indoors basket ball size space is about right size.

leedude1

Gentlemen had a small crash and a splindle, main gear and new servo horn later shes back in the air. I find the flight times in testing have drastically dropped (like half) and I can hear the revs coming WAY down mid flight which is not normal... I never got that in the past even after running the full 3:30 in idle up... I noticed the batteries way to hot as well... shes turns fine and I don't feel any binding??? batteries are fine full charge start....think its the ESC that may have got damaged in the fall out of the sky? Or maybe a motor issue?

Top Bottom