General Black grease?

treff

Another newbie question I'm afraid. Not being or coming from an engineering background, more arty by nature. I came to grease the thrust bearings on a new build. The only grease to hand was a small tube of black grease purchased from a modelshop some time ago. Will this be okay to use on the thrust bearings? I hope so because it will be a bit of a job washing them out. There is no info on the tube of grease, just says black grease on the tube. Thanks for any info and thought. Bye the way build is finished apart from electronics and of course setting up. WOW! i am becoming dare I say it almost knowledgeable LOL Cheers

Slobberdog

Don't know about the grease Treff but you have built that quick mate, you will be back in the air before you know it.

danhampson

ive had a quick search around and it looks like black grease is for thrust bearings, diffs and the like in model cars/trucks. i dont know how your dampeners would last with it, i suppose if the components of a rc car diff are plastic then is should be OK. maybe worth asking in the rc car forum.

treff

Cheers Slobberdog. Yes very quick build, no snags and plenty of time on my hands to do it. One and a half days. It's been raining cats and dogs here so was really stuck indoors. Just awaiting servos and will be setting it up. I must say it feels a better heli all round, more solid and the tail is a dream to last one, smooth as silk on the slider. So all in all apart from a few thing i.e. had to epoxy some parts of the frame back together but I have carbon tissue for that sort of thing and a little kevlar so it's actually stronger now. A friend straightened the main shaft to some incredible tolerance so well chuffed so far. The grease is a bit of a mystery I think it was used for the bearing on model cars so think it will be okay, better than dry bearings anyway. Cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks danhampson, yes I thought that is what it was but I could not remember because it as been so long since I brought it, old age I'm afraid. Us senile old codgers can not remember what we had for breakfast never mind a few years ago. Now what was I doing...........................................LOL Cheers

Slobberdog

Realy good to hear, you seem alot more confident and happy with this build, was all your servos toast after the last crash or you putting better new ones on this bird, I know you would have had to have a bigger tail servo so what ones have you gone for. You sticking with the same gyro?

treff

Yes Slobberdog build going very well, learning lots. What is nice is that this heli conforms to the align build plan so takes a lot of guess work out. Two servos broken or at least the lugs on the servos were broken but will find a way to fit the in a aircraft wing I am working on. For the tail ordered the align DS650 and I am thinking of putting 500 size skids on to help. I found the training gear was difficult in the grass so I may try bigger skids. Yes sticking with the same gyro GA250 for the time being to see how I get on. Cheers

Tony

Staff member
If it's a thick grease, it will do fine. In the thrust bearings you need grease that is thick enough to NOT sling out (make sure to mount the cup of the bearing facing the head block) and make a mess on your blades.

treff

Thanks Tony. Yes thick and I put the bearing back facing inwards. I like this heli better than the first. Just awaiting servos then will spend time setting every thing up. Thanks again.

danhampson

i run 500 skids and a 500 carbon tail fin in my 450 pro ive not had to replace a torque tube gear since i got the heli really is good, the looked a bit strange at first but now i dont think that i would change them.

- - - Updated - - -

20130330_205356.jpg
pro l.jpg

20130330_205356.jpg

pro l.jpg

treff

Thanks very much danhampson. It looks great I think I am sold on that idea and will fit the same. I found the training gear a little off putting especially on the grass. Cheers

danhampson

i found the 3gx didnt like the training gear. so i took it off, landed hard and stripped the front umberella gear. that was the point i ordered the 500 skids, ive not used the training gear since. the carbon boom upgrade isnt a bad idea too. i ordered mine when i ordered my kit im sure is payed for itself when ive panicked and dropped the throttle, ive got over that now. A friend told me to increase the throttle and try to gain control again and it seems to be working. ive not had a crash in 2 weeks (touch wood).

danhampson

forgot to add. you just have to drill a hole in the center of the skidswith a 2mm drill bit

- - - Updated - - -

You should not have said that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you know what they say "FLY IT, CRASH IT, FIX IT, FLY IT........."
I think that ive come to terms with the crash it bit, its just the down time thats a pain in the a$$

Top Bottom