General Better vid quality and distance

Ben

Hello to all , just getting into fpv , I currently have a crazy pony camera and spektrum fpv goggles , I have the camera on a sports cub s , what I would like to do is get better video quality and increase my video feed distance , do I need better antenna ? What would fit on those goggles , thank you

Tony

Staff member
The receiver isn't really the main issue in distance (although a better vrx will receive weaker signals better), what you are going to need is a better vtx, or video transmitter. The more wattage you have (which is usually measured in milliwatts) the farther it will transmit. So if you are using a 25mw transmitter with that camera, try going up to a 200mw transmitter. I'm linking to one that I use on my quad and it works fantastic!

Here is the VTX I use - Eachine TS5823L 5.8G 200mw 40CH Raceband Mini FPV Transmitter Skyzone Boscam Upgraded

Going to the goggles, if you are using rubber ducky (dipole) antennas, then get a cloverleaf antenna for whatever Ghz you are running. For the most distance, get a patch antenna which is very directional.

Reactions: Ben

Tony

Staff member
It will all depend on how it is tuned. Some of the really cheap antennas (still need to do some review videos on those, but heli's have taken over lol) are very thick, and the thicker the wire, the less it is 'tuned' to the specific frequency. Length also plays a huge role in this as well. So without being able to directly compare your mushroom antenna (which is a clover by the way) to the Aomway antenna, there is no way to know if one is better than another. And that flat antenna on your new goggles is a patch antenna. That is what is known as a 'Diversity' receiver. It will pick whatever signal is strongest and use that to show on the screen.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thanks Tony. I'll leave it like it is then. Still waiting on the wind to die down. I want to go flying and watching Smoggie video of the 700 speed is giving me itchy fingers.

Ben

The receiver isn't really the main issue in distance (although a better vrx will receive weaker signals better), what you are going to need is a better vtx, or video transmitter. The more wattage you have (which is usually measured in milliwatts) the farther it will transmit. So if you are using a 25mw transmitter with that camera, try going up to a 200mw transmitter. I'm linking to one that I use on my quad and it works fantastic!

Here is the VTX I use - Eachine TS5823L 5.8G 200mw 40CH Raceband Mini FPV Transmitter Skyzone Boscam Upgraded

Going to the goggles, if you are using rubber ducky (dipole) antennas, then get a cloverleaf antenna for whatever Ghz you are running. For the most distance, get a patch antenna which is very directional.
So
Hello to all , just getting into fpv , I currently have a crazy pony camera and spektrum fpv goggles , I have the camera on a sports cub s , what I would like to do is get better video quality and increase my video feed distance , do I need better antenna ? What would fit on those goggles , thank you

Ben

Going to the goggles, if you are using rubber ducky (dipole) antennas, then get a cloverleaf antenna for whatever Ghz you are running. For the most distance, get a patch antenna which is very directional. Does the eachine go on the plane or in the goggles ? The camera has a mini whip antenna , I already ordered the eachine after you told me abought it lol

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter

I ended up ordering a back up camera for my whoop that has VTX in it. Doesn't look anything like the VTX your showing Tony Eachine TX03 NTSC Super Mini 0/25mW/50mW/200mW Switchable AIO 5.8G 72CH VTX 600TVL 1/3 Cmos FPV Camera - FPV Gear - Tinywhoop must be two different kinds of VTX? I don't know, I'm asking! :(

Tony

Staff member
The one that you are looking at ivan has a built in VTX. the one I linked to requires a separate camera. Usually resulting in better video quality, but it also a lot heavier too.

Ben

Does the eachine ts5823 go in place of the antenna on the goggles ? Was getting ready to order it just a little confused sorry ,

Tony

Staff member
No, that is just the transmitter. I just looked up your camera (sorry, was really busy earlier) and it doesn't appear that it has a replaceable antenna so your only option is to replace it with another camera set but it is likely going to be heavier. Using a patch antenna will likely be your best bet, but just remember it's highly dierctional so you will have to look in the direction that the quad is in for the best signal quality. The camera that D.O.G. posted is likely your best bet, but again, it will be a bit heavier.

Ben

Ok thank you guys , one last question, what antenna would you recommend for that camera DOG showed me and that eachine ts5823 antenna would go on the spektrum fpv goggles 5.8 ghz the box goggles

Tony

Staff member
The Eachine TS5823 is just a transmitter. If you want to use that transmitter, which would go on the plane, you would need to upgrade your camera as well. Your setup would be that of what I have in the video below. The TS5823 transmitter with the Runcam camera. That combo is going to set you back a bit of cash though, but the image quality will be better. Just don't expect HD quality, these still transmit over analog channels. As for your goggles, if you have the mushroom antenna on that, then I wouldn't upgrade until you upgraded your stuff on the plane.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
OK, that's for the real quads then.
Ok thank you guys , one last question, what antenna would you recommend for that camera DOG showed me and that eachine ts5823 antenna would go on the spektrum fpv goggles 5.8 ghz the box goggles

Hey there Ben. Tony suggested to me awhile back to get this antenna for my goggles and it works wonderful. Just my :2c:Aomway Antenna RP-SMA - RH CP - RED w/ Cover there close to your home town Ben. Good luck.

Tony

Staff member
Make sure to get the proper end on it. You can get SMA or RP-SMA. I have no idea what your antenna is so I can't say what one to get. Just match your end to the end that you are wanting to purchase. But as I stated before, if you have a mushroom antenna now, I would not upgrade. However, if you are going to get the setup that I have in that video, then yes, I would get them.

Tony

Staff member
It's my pleasure. And by the way, that video is the quality you can expect out of the setup I have. That was a direct recording. But, you saw me fly behind houses and such and still only got a little interference. If you tried that with what you have now, it would completely lose signal. And being that thin little dipole antenna, that makes it even worse.

Ben

It has lol . I just orderd the ya 5823 now getting ready to order a runcam then a bluebeam antenna

Top Bottom